"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
Anyone else keep a riff/song idea folder, then revisit it and realize you've recorded the same idea several times?

I write so little I have one singular GuitarPro file that has a couple thousand bars across about a half dozen tracks containing pretty much every riff I've ever written.
About once a year or so I'll go through it and realize that I went through the effort of transcribing the same riff multiple times without realizing I've already done it. Sometimes in another tuning, sometimes with a note or two changed, but usually exactly the same riff, at the exact same tempo, on the exact same track.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone else keep a riff/song idea folder, then revisit it and realize you've recorded the same idea several times?
I do a pretty good job recording to my phone or on the computer and fleshing stuff out if I like it.

Now that you mentioned it, I'll probably do it sometime soon lol

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I keep a project full of little one take variations of the same riffs, or the just riffs with different transitions. Keeps me from forgetting them and I can idly mix different mockups for the composition.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot better than my routine:

Think of a riff, grab guitar off wall, set up cellphone facing me, record riff unplugged while the TV is blaring in the background, lose the video in a thousand cat pics, dump phone photo/video album onto hard drive, never review the riff again

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I have come to accept that all my riffs are a variation of some Metallica or Pantera riff.

Oh yeah there's a ton of this.
How many of you guys have noodled out a riff you think is absolute heat, record it, transcribe it, whatever; and halfway through the process, realize that it's a carbon copy of a riff in a song that you just haven't listened to in a while.

One time I made it halfway through writing a whole damn song based on one such riff before realizing it was completely lifted. Special kind of frustration.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
How many of you guys have noodled out a riff you think is absolute heat, record it, transcribe it, whatever; and halfway through the process, realize that it's a carbon copy of a riff in a song that you just haven't listened to in a while.

One time I made it halfway through writing a whole damn song based on one such riff before realizing it was completely lifted. Special kind of frustration.

One of the songs from one of my former bands is basically Enter Sandman minus the arpeggios and somehow nobody noticed (even me, the person who wrote it).

Even the solo modulates in a similar way...

Once I noticed I started to switch the riffs mid-song when we played live.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
With only 12 notes in the chromatic scale, it seems like it isn't possible to write a melody in the year 2024 A.D. that hasn't already been composed or recorded.

We just have to share the riffs and if people don't like it, too bad.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Honestly, id prefer this. Lot you can do with changing key or the order of the notes, drums etc to make a carbon copy song sound different enough to pass.

Rewriting your same shitty song over and over is a much grimmer prognosis.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Why try to reinvent perfection?

I knew a guy who was writing in the key of killswitch back in the early 2000s and to date he has not changed keys. Every time I hear a new demo of some vaporware that never materializes beyond a 1-mic-in-jam-space demo, it's the nothin' but the drop tuned 0-8-7-10's

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I knew a guy who was writing in the key of killswitch back in the early 2000s and to date he has not changed keys. Every time I hear a new demo of some vaporware that never materializes beyond a 1-mic-in-jam-space demo, it's the nothin' but the drop tuned 0-8-7-10's
Im assuming a pinch harmonic on the 10?

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I'm very organised so repeated riffs is not a problem for me. The problem is that I have like 50 songs that I should have recorded but haven't recorded, because they weren't good enough as just an instrumental. Just need a damn vocalist.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm very organised so repeated riffs is not a problem for me. The problem is that I have like 50 songs that I should have recorded but haven't recorded, because they weren't good enough as just an instrumental. Just need a damn vocalist.
There comes a point when it's just time to learn how to sing. Or in my case, learn to growl. Just like anything else, we're going to suck at it until we don't.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Im assuming a pinch harmonic on the 10?

If not that, at least some hammer on/pull off transitions.
giphy.gif