NPBD - piled up Pedaltrain 2

Absaloms Axe

Djently Disturbed!
Reaction score
Hey there.
Since there is no more room left on this board i consider it complete (though the recent adds caused some hum and i will have to upgrade my powersuppy)

Anyways, today came the last two pedals, being a tc electronics polytune mini and a HOF mini (that toneprint app is really kinda fun) and this is how it's set u right now as a whole:

20150116_201107.jpg

Gear used in signal order:

tc electronic - polytune mini
xotic - sp compressor
tc electronic - spark mini
plutoneium - chi-wha-wha
blackout effektors - crystal dagger
xotic - bb preamp
wampler - plexi-drive
weehbo - morbid drive
ernie ball - vpjr
mooer - lofi machine
z.cat - q-mod
tc electronic - hof mini
strymon - timeline

wired up with geroge L solderless cable and powered with harley benton powerplant (that worked perfectly till now) except the strymon.

both new tc pedals added their own kinda flavor of hum and noise. The polytune with its 440hz-ish hum and the hof with a slight high pitched feedback. I'm surprised it works though, because it should be more current draw than the PP is capable of.

Any suggestions for isolated powersupplies that aren't ridiculously overpriced?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
Dunlop DC Bricks can be had for not a whole lotta cash. I love mine, works great. Haven't tried any of the Voodoo Labs stuff yet but haven't heard anything bad about them either. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I'd skip the DC Brick, they're just a Daisy Chain in a box. I've heard good things about the TRex Fuel Tank, however. HNPD, dude, that is a crazy pedalboard, way cramped for me, but if it works for you, who cares?

protest

Reaction score
You sure you can't fit anything else on there lol? How do you like the Plexi-Drive?

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
In dire need of a board myself. Looking at yours makes me realize I'll need to get the Pedal Train Pro. Talk about close quarters.:lol: Looks really neat and organized. My OCD approves.:yesway:

Happy NPBD!

Absaloms Axe

Djently Disturbed!
Reaction score
You sure you can't fit anything else on there lol? How do you like the Plexi-Drive?

Maybe a 2"x 2" buffer or something ;D

I like it a lot to be honest. I use it as a slight treble and gainboost with a marshallish feel to add to the bb preamp. You can also do those cranked marshall things with it as you feel like it, so this pedal is fun.
In my tool-coverband it serves as my basic sound and i add the morbid drive on top for that "marshall with diezelmod"-kinda sound.

I thought about replacing it by a xotic sl-drive because of the obvious space-on-board issues, but i'm not sure this one is equally satisfying at lower gain settings.

Also thanks guys! Its quite cramped but it works for pretty well me. *ninjafoot*
And OCD really might be the real reason for this :D

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Nice pedal board!

Also a dumb question...hows the Strymon delay :lol:

Absaloms Axe

Djently Disturbed!
Reaction score
Nice pedal board!

Also a dumb question...hows the Strymon delay :lol:

It's a great sounding pedal with lots of possibilities (that oddly still are just different delays). After a whole day of fiddling around it begins to all sound the same :D but i did a lot presets that i consider usefull and i really use them live. might just be about 7 or 8 banks or so. For example large patterndelays that sound more like a churchhall, different kinds of modulated delays, simple dry and filtered delay or a lofi sound with no noticable latency (and without further delay) and so on.
There's a hold (infinite repeat) function by constantly pressing one button and tap delay that i consider very usefull while gigging.
Those were the perks that made it interesting to me though a lot more is possible.

Also the ice-delay sounds killer.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Congrats on the new pedals and completed board!

For power I'd look at the Voodoo Lab PP2+ :yesway: I have one and it's super solid and quiet.

I actually just got an SP comp in the mail yesterday and will be writing up an NPD thread in the next few days :) how do you like yours set? I've barely had a chance to mess with mine haha

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
gif-dance.gif

PS - I don't think the PP+ will be enough, unless you wanna daisy chain some pedals. Check out the Mondo.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I'd do the math, first, but I'd look at the Voodoo Labs Mondo.

There's an app for (I.E. you can program your own toneprints into) the HOF? I need to look into that...

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Man.. Your feet must be tiny! My clod hoppers would be pressing half those buttons on accident! :lol:

On a serious note, you really know how to get the most out of the available real estate!

Absaloms Axe

Djently Disturbed!
Reaction score
Congrats on the new pedals and completed board!

For power I'd look at the Voodoo Lab PP2+ :yesway: I have one and it's super solid and quiet.

I actually just got an SP comp in the mail yesterday and will be writing up an NPD thread in the next few days :) how do you like yours set? I've barely had a chance to mess with mine haha

Thanks!
I did the maths on different power supplies.
The BBE supercharger doesn't have the 300mA option i need for the strymon sadly though the rest sounds really great about it considering the price in comparison to voodoolab and cioks.
the vlab pp2 got the same issue.
The mondo is wayyy to huge and the 4x4 could do the trick. but i consider it really big.
My local store has a cheap Cioks TC10 but that has 2 "12 Volt only" outputs and somehow ruins my use for it.
But this could work

T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon Stromverteiler
5x300mA Sections. 1 for the Strymon, 1 for the HOF mini, 1 for the Polytune mini, and 2 daisychains for the rest (that worked solidly)

And now to the Xotic SP,
i have the internal dip-switches at default (0011 - slow attack, high cut, no bass cut), the volume knob at 2 o'clocksomething and the blend either at 2 o'clock with the switch at low or at 10/11 o clock with the compression set at middle. They're kinda similar sounds but the middle setting is still kinda more audible and i use both for the same thing: sustain with chords, tightness in chugs, loudness with multifinger-tapping and that *uuh yeah* face and feel in your stomach it gives you when turning it on.

I'd do the math, first, but I'd look at the Voodoo Labs Mondo.

There's an app for (I.E. you can program your own toneprints into) the HOF? I need to look into that...

With PC or Mac softwear your're able to transfer superpersonalized settings into the HOF mini via usb. The Toneprint app for iOS or Android kinda just loads existing presets into the HOF through your signal chain and it's a lot fun to do so, however i didn't figure out, if it's possible to export those settings you worked on to your toneprintapp on the phone.
I use the presets though, cause the only sounds i'm looking for is a darkned but long sounding hall and a more crazy sound with modulation, and a slight but long spring reverb which are the TC hall preset, the devin townsend and the steve willson toneprint.
Works for me

Man.. Your feet must be tiny! My clod hoppers would be pressing half those buttons on accident! :lol:

On a serious note, you really know how to get the most out of the available real estate!

I literarely have no choice :D
When i'm gigging i have a minimal setup that a can transport through public transport and anything bigger than a pedaltrain 2 would probably mean the death of my hands and back.
And it's obvious that I NEEED all of these pedals *cough*

I hope the t-rex chameleon does the trick.. i need to save up for it though.
It's a shame 160ish euros for a decent power supply is considered as a good deal.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I had no idea you used public transportation for gigs! that sounds like a PITA, I completely understand why you need to do what you do :lol:

PF Chang

Reaction score
Don't a lot of digital pedals makes noise when daisy chained?

I use a separate 9V wall wart for my Flashback Mini.

Absaloms Axe

Djently Disturbed!
Reaction score
I had no idea you used public transportation for gigs! that sounds like a PITA, I completely understand why you need to do what you do :lol:

thanks for your understanding lol
it's kind of doable, lots of clubs where i play have an ok backlineamp and i have my headless steinbergerish 8-string guitar on my back and the PT2 in the softcase. Going by trains and busses it might not be the most comfortable way of travelling, espacially with gear around but it's okay.

A PT pro or 3 would be too much i think.. also i would kinda get ideas what to put next on it etc. :D

Don't a lot of digital pedals makes noise when daisy chained?

I use a separate 9V wall wart for my Flashback Mini.

i really wasn't aware of this although i know there are peddals that are definitely not chainable because of the way they were built. (I got a EHX Freeze that didn't make it on the board because of that)
But i was surprised the tuner(!) made noises even when turned off.

Anyways i'm going for the Voodoo Lab 4x4.. f+ck this shit.. till i got the money :noplease:

dan the man

Reaction score
Hi, quick question, how do you think the spark booster compares to the BB preamp?

I'm assuming you're using them as boost pedals in front of a high gain amp, so disregard my question if you use them differently.

Absaloms Axe

Djently Disturbed!
Reaction score
Hi, quick question, how do you think the spark booster compares to the BB preamp?

I'm assuming you're using them as boost pedals in front of a high gain amp, so disregard my question if you use them differently.

In that case i must disappoint you. I use the BB preamp as some kind of tubelike sounding OD with gain set at 11 o clock and the spark to boost the BB (and any other pedal). Thats because i basically run through clean/slightly overdriven amps with no second channel.

But i also tried it this way, with low gain but high volume settings with the bb. It sounded great infront of an clean tube or into a high gain pedal (and then into a tube amp)

The BB works just fine as a clean boost with a little and effective EQ but to me it's kind of a potential loss, because it's own gain sounds pretty good and unique to me, but i would probably get the spark (non mini) if i would like to do just this, it's less expensive and well suited for this purpose.
The spark mini doesn't have any eq possibilities but if i would use it the way you describe it, i'd rather go with the eq option, because you can adjust it better to the amp and your guitar signal.

But i got another OCD update, i fit another pedal on there and got a descent powersuppy. Now it's all clean with no pedalhum.

Took me a whole day to tetris this up.
20150124_213607.jpg

Also i'm testing the Visual Sound Pure Tone Buffer, but i must say i prefer the sound without it. Running it into the BB sounds like there is an additional clean signal mixed with it, that sounds rather dull.
Anyone experienced with buffers or this particular model?
I'm currently