NPD: Elysian Modern (Trident I) 7 string set

• Thread starter Legion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
PHEW.

Fucking hell, it sucks so hard to be time poor. Goddamn pickups were delivered a month ago, got them for like 185 shipped. FINALLY. They're in.

Ibby7.jpg

Sorry about crappy pic, I am NOT a photography guy by any means.

When I first plugged this in and started playing, there was barely any output. I was like WTF. Then I noticed that the pickups were uncharacteristically low, which I didnt even notice initially: makes sense, this guitar had been routed for Blackouts, which are thicker than Miss Vavoom's booty lol. So I started raising the pickups, and the routes were so fucking deep the fucking mounting screws were not long enough to get the pickups close enough to the strings.

Now off I go to Marshall's Hardware. Picked up longer screws, and in they went.
Okay, with that out of the way, take 2 time.

Thin, buzzy, weak, anemic. I was crestfallen. I thought the pickups were damaged.
Opened up the cavity again to find that there was a little piece of metal that was touching some exposed lead. Looked like there was a short. Separated the offending wires, taped them off to insulate them, and got back to it.

THERE WE GO.

Tone impressions

Right off the bat, very very crisp tone. Transients track extremely tight, there is a really complex midrange this set has that absolutely fucking KILLS for lead work. Rhythm is excellent too, especially since I'm a scoop-those-mids kinda guy. I have spent close to 3 days now messing with this guitar, dialing in tones, and I'm really impressed by the midrange character (tonnes of twang without sounding thin). The pickup is also extremely active harmonically, pinch harmonics fall off the strings.

Neck pickup feels super nice: it's thick, creamy and rich, but not tubby.

A surprising thing about these pickups is the output. They're not that hot AT ALL. I'd say lower end of medium output. Now I'm generally a huge fan of scorching hot pickups, but these honestly feel really really nice.

These are only first impressions, more to come. There's a learning curve to these pickups, so I'm still understanding how to dial in my plugins to work well with them. I'll see if I can throw together a quick demo song.

Also coming soon: Elysian TII (Goliath variant) set.

I'm a happy man. :)

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Reaction score
UPDATE: DEMO CLIP

Not saying this is great tone, still figuring out how to dial this thing in. Really liking what I'm hearing so far!

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
I gotta say I dig some parts of that song big time…I heard a little old school soilwork influence in the opening riff..the pickups sound pretty great as well

Legion

Reaction score
I gotta say I dig some parts of that song big time…I heard a little old school soilwork influence in the opening riff..the pickups sound pretty great as well
Thanks! You're SPOT ON, I am currently on a huge soilwork kick so no wonder that showed up on the riff!