Nut Widths- 42 vs 43mm

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
For chords I actually prefer wider nut widths, but maybe that's just because I've got wide fingers. Some chords are just too crowded with narrow spring spacing. I don't think I'd notice a difference between 42 and 43 mm, and I only notice a difference between 43 and 45 on acoustic guitars with those crowded chords (where 45 mm keeps the fingers far enough apart to not cut into each other).

The bridge spacing and consistent string height makes more difference to me. I have no measurements, but some guitars just feel impossible to pick fast on, whether timing gets off or the pick catches on unwanted strings. I've never felt awkward like that with my left hand on nylon, steel or electric. Even strumming on a bass is fine.
This comes back to my earlier point:

Nut width =/= string spacing

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This comes back to my earlier point:

Nut width =/= string spacing

In most cases, there are string spacing differences.

Here's the chart of FR locking nuts:

209DF1CD-6D50-4CFB-9E5D-0B506096E2E2.jpeg

Obviously regular nuts can be cut to whatever, just check the GraphTech site.

jvms

Reaction score
I'm really surprised from what I'm seeing in this thread. I feel like 1mm can make a ton of difference and is really noticeable. My first guitar was a Squier Affinity Strat and it's one of the few guitars that has a 41mm nut. It was painful to play chords on, to the point where it screwed up my learning. A few years later I bought a Schecter Hellraiser Special 8, that had a nut with similar string spacing and it was also super difficult to play chords on. I sold it to a jazz guy thatloved it, but often complains that the strings are too fucking close. 42 and 43 are very good, but bringing down that last mm can really screw things up in my opinion.

Shask

Reaction score
I tend to prefer 42mm over 43mm. I think it is very noticable, but I have small hands, and I mostly play with my thumb over the top. It wouldn't matter as much if you always do the thumb plant in the back I would think.