Oakland Axe Factory BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL!!

• Thread starter Tom Drinkwater
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Ok, it's really not a black friday special in the strictest sense but it is a crazy offer. I want to make a bunch of guitars this winter, it's coming up on the craziest shopping day of the year and I have a router table that is itching to get dusty. So, instead of letting Walmart and Best Buy have all the fun on Black Friday here is my deal to you.

Single cutaway body style 8 string
Black Hipshot hardware
Black Lace Aluma-Djent or Dimarzio DA8 pickups
Volume, tone and 3 way switch
Ash, Alder or Mahogany body
24 fret Bolt on Bamboo neck with two dual action truss rods
Bubinga or Pau Ferro fretboard with Luminlay side dots
Satin natural finish
27” scale
$999 if ordered on or before November 30, 2011
add $100 for a 1/4" figured maple top with 2 step dye satin finish
Parts orders will be placed December 1, 2011.

Seriously folks, November 30, 2011. Just like on my custom guitars I need 50% down to get materials and the balance is due upon completion so don't be freaked out if you don't have much $$ in your pocket right now. You could have as many as 4 months to save up the other half.

In order to keep this crazy deal as sane as possible I have to limit the options to a couple of different fretboard woods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Sounds like there's going to be a fewguitars out there for $1500 with Steath written in crayon on the headstock... :)

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
^ Sounds like there's going to be a fewguitars out there for $1500 with Steath written in crayon on the headstock... :)

Holy #$%^ that's funny.

I don't forsee a reason to put a cap on the deal. If I get a really ridiculous amount of orders I may have to but I'll have to wait and see.

Reaction score
For sure, I was just curious because last time there was a Black Friday type sale someone decided not to cap it and the wait times far exceeded what was originally estimate during deposit days.

Just something to think about I guess.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I just added Alder to the body woods choices. Highly recommended by a metal playing buddy of mine.

For sure, I was just curious because last time there was a Black Friday type sale someone decided not to cap it and the wait times far exceeded what was originally estimate during deposit days.

Definitely on my mind. I'll try to make sure I can have a realistic lead time on these. No one wants to wait forever for a guitar.

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score

No one wants to wait forever for a guitar.

Yeah, I should have my blackfriday guitar from last sale within a month :lol:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Upload pics to entice customers Tom. ;)

It's worth mentioning that I've never heard anything but good things about Tom and how quick he gets his stuff done... Just worth noting to potential buyers...

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
If I can sell a guitar or two prior to this closing I'll be happily joining.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Please be patient with me, my internet service is extremely slow and unreliable. I have tried to post this 3 times today!!

Ok, here it is.

I am working on getting pics up of my recent build that shares the basic design of this run of guitars. Hopefully have something up today.

I am going to edit the original post to include Indian Rosewood as a neck wood choice. LMI has limited numbers of the Rosewood so it's first come first serve for that.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Yes, pics please!!!

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
This is so totally awesome, thank you Tom! (this is Ben M.) I can't wait to see the eventual progress of these.

For anyone wondering, Tom is amazingly great to work with. I've been talking about ordering the Aluma-Djents and eventually doing a build, and Tom has responded quickly to every question I've had. This level of care and support is top-notch, and I haven't even made a purchase yet!

celticelk

Reaction score
The guitars offered here are pretty similar to my recent OAF build: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...ory-8-string-i-once-killed-boy-56k-modem.html

I got a maple neck and fretboard, which isn't on offer here, but those are the "Aluma-Djent" pickups, with the same scale length and control configuration that Tom's offering. There's a link to the build thread in my NGD post for more pics and other details.

EDIT: also, check out the pics on Tom's website gallery: http://www.oaklandaxefactory.com/gallery_6and8.html

thatguy87

DjentyGoodness
Reaction score
I really should not be looking at this.... My credit card is twitching in my wallet...

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Alrighty, I have more options to add to the list!!

For a meer $100 you can add a 1/4" figured maple top with a two step dye job. That basically means that I darken the figure with a dark dye, sand it off and then apply a transparent color over that.

Here is a link to my album here on ss.org with that purple 8 string I did earlier this year for an idea of what the dye job looks like.

Sevenstring.org - Tom Drinkwater's Album: Guitars

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
tom-drinkwater-albums-guitars-picture5791-img-0254.png