Obscura - New album updates

• Thread starter chopeth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takotakumi

Reaction score
:bump:

So, I caught the DILUVIUM tour that rolled through Worcester last night. From headliner to opener it went: Obscura > Beyond Creation > Archspire > Inferni > Exist > The Last King > Beget of Nephilim (I think that was their name, I forgot honestly). Tech death is rad and all, but no concert should be six bands, this thing was ABSURDLY long, specifically SIX HOURS LONG. Got in at 6 with doors, didn't leave till 12:30 on a Tues night. I knew I was taking today as a "work from home" but I pity anyone who didn't.

The first two bands did their thing, typical "we're small bands trying to get our name out" I just wish more of them would play to their strengths and not try do this overly "Get those fucking hands in the AIR!" bit when the entire crowd is like, 1/10th of the total audience by the end of the night.
Exist ran into some problems with their cables somewhere, but they got it sorted out and did a solid set; vocals reminded me of the Tampa FL scene.
Inferni came on afterwards, no issues, just came on and rocked it.
Archspire is a band I know more for their technical aspect than their song writing chops, and I still stand by that - lots of stuff going on, none of it really making a dent in me.

Beyond Creation, bias I'm sure, but absolutely crushed it like you'd want and expect them to. They did two of the new songs, I think three off of Earthborn Evolution, and Omnipresent Perception from their first album. Just absolutely crushing and I was lucky enough to make my way to the 2nd row to avoid all the circle pit shit that came from before with Archspire.

Obscura, this one's an odd-ball as no one else should realistically see the show that we and the Canadian audiences saw, as Steffan had his passport stolen and couldn't be there - so they rotated vocalists from all the openers and Rafael carried the guitar work on his own. HUGE credit to him, like, seriously, he's a young dude put in a tough spot with everything that's gone on with the Obscura 2nd guitarist spot but he's owning it. Linus looks so god damn happy to be on stage, it's really refreshing to see given how much of metal seems to be "black clothes, black guitars, look badass" but he's just up there killing it on the fretless. Warning to anyone who is right up close to the stage, depending on the venue, you MAY get hit with a headstock if you're not careful. :lol:

All around, it was rad as shit to see Obscura AND Beyond Creation together, despite the overall aches and pains from a six hour tech-death concert, and about two of that was without plugs to get the full "I'm seeing Obscura and Beyond Creation together in one night" effect

I'm also convinced that the secret to being great at tech-death is having long hair being blown by a small fan while playing, it's got to be

zNw3nys.jpg

2HC9ClW.jpg
Awesome dude! Im catching them up here this weekend on Atlanta...probably going to be my show of the year.

I've seen Exist and Archispire before and their live perfomances are unrealll
I have been dying to see Obscura and Beyond creation for years...you have no idea how pumped I am haha

...on another note Diluvium has grown on me after various listens haha
I am enjoying this album far more than when the first songs were teased.
Diluvium is still the worst title track for me though haha
Ekpyrosis is classic/textbook Obscura, definitively my favorite of the album, which Etherial skies being my favorite solo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've been out of the concert game for YEARS, and even as a teen, I had never been to anything like this man. It was crazy. I was at the point where I was honestly going to travel to Canada to see Beyond Creation because it seems like they never play the US for whatever reason.

Exist are someone who I'd like to see again in a better venue, they didn't have the best sound and I'm not sure if there was other technical issues, but when the sound is on point from them I'm sure it'd be killer. Archspire's vocalist was killing me, he looked like a slam version of Sully Erna and he was like, constantly going. I didn't realize that for as much is going on with guitars/bass/drums, there's usually vocals doing just as much.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Awesome dude! Im catching them up here this weekend on Atlanta...probably going to be my show of the year.

Damn, Tako, you're lucky to see all those bands on this tour. I'd love to see Beyond creation and Obscura on this tour and see Rafael perform live. Hey, if you can, bug the shit out of Simon and Kevin (from Beyond) about releasing guitar tablature books for their albums. LOL. :mega::mf666:

takotakumi

Reaction score
^Old book, the one with impossible stretches?
I have both, the first one that came out and then the 2nd edition which they sent to anyone having the wrong 1st edition
but I think it still is wrong on some parts haha

They were giving the pdf for "free" on their site some years ago as well

chopeth

Reaction score
I have both, the first one that came out and then the 2nd edition which they sent to anyone having the wrong 1st edition
but I think it still is wrong on some parts haha

I have both too, and I'm curious about what parts do you think are still wrong.

CreptorStatus

Reaction score
Tako, what was wrong on the Aevum tab?

Cant remember specific riffs but most the tabs were super wrong with fret positions. Aevum had some fast riffs with stretches from the 1st fret to the 8th fret. There was also tabs for a solo included in the book that wasnt on the actual song lol. At least all this was in the first edition.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Cant remember specific riffs but most the tabs were super wrong with fret positions. Aevum had some fast riffs with stretches from the 1st fret to the 8th fret.

Ahhh. That's good to know. I was actually listening to the song yesterday and I like it a little better. Maybe one day, I'll learn a few riffs from the song.

There was also tabs for a solo included in the book that wasnt on the actual song lol. At least all this was in the first edition.

Yeah, the Transcendental serenade keyboard solo that never made it. That was weird. I was going crazy trying to find it in the song. LOL.

takotakumi

Reaction score
I have both too, and I'm curious about what parts do you think are still wrong.
Like someone posted above, some odd stretches, and the "circus riff" at 4:50 is off as well.
I had another friend who is great at learning by ear and I sent him the tabs I had for celestial spheres and I think he did a similar comment.

On a related note, the same guy was learning the intro solo to Etherial Skies the other day and said that the intro solo on the new tab book is wrong as well since its missing the open notes haha We got the "official" tabs from whomever has been posting the guitar pro versions of the tabooks on UG for comparison. This is sad cause I thought the tabs were from the official members this time since there was no drama unlike with Akroasis.

...is Cosmogenesis the only correct tab book?

BTW no hate towards Obscura...I still love them to death but this would be the 3rd consecutive wrong tab book haha

Attachments

• e2tab.png
    e2tab.png
    4 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts