Odd time signatures.

• Thread starter apatheticbassist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In my music theory class, we're discussing odd times. I want to incorporate some into my music. help me find some obscure ones, will you?

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Time signatures or examples of their use?

You can build interesting time signatures by building up combinations of 2 or 3 quavers (8th notes) or semiquavers (16th notes). You can also divide standard time signatures in this way to get unusual rhythms out of them.

Reaction score
Time signatures or examples of their use?

You can build interesting time signatures by building up combinations of 2 or 3 quavers (8th notes) or semiquavers (16th notes). You can also divide standard time signatures in this way to get unusual rhythms out of them.
i just meant the time signatures. thanks though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nonapod

Reaction score
If you want weird times, check out Frank Zappa's The Black Page and Gentle Giant's Cogs in Cogs. Also electronic musician Venetian Snares has a song called Kakenrooken Stivlobits that has a section that is in 89/8.

Tatu Aleksi

Reaction score
One of my favorites is Porcupine Tree - Cheating the Polygraph! It's not just odd signature for the complexity, but it also grooves really nicely. Check out Live from Anesthetize version. The 7/8 on the verse is just perfect.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Gavin Harrison's "19 days" is in 19/8 (or 19/4? unsure). He counts it off in the beginning of his playthrough clinic video. It is also a lovely song.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I like to do mine by maintaining a four beat pulse, but using odd-number beats inside of it. So a measure of 7/4 would be four groups of 7 sixteenth notes (four groups of 3+4 sixteenth), or 5/4 would be four groups of 5 (2+3 or 3+2). It makes a lot of the stuff have a cool syncopated feel when percussion is maintaining a steady backbeat behind something that's accented that way. My personal favorite ones to use are 5/8, 9/8, and 15/16. They can still have a groove and be "tricky" to the ear.

gnoll

Reaction score
I like to do mine by maintaining a four beat pulse, but using odd-number beats inside of it. So a measure of 7/4 would be four groups of 7 sixteenth notes (four groups of 3+4 sixteenth), or 5/4 would be four groups of 5 (2+3 or 3+2). It makes a lot of the stuff have a cool syncopated feel when percussion is maintaining a steady backbeat behind something that's accented that way. My personal favorite ones to use are 5/8, 9/8, and 15/16. They can still have a groove and be "tricky" to the ear.

Lol, I thought I was alone in using 15/16...

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
i just meant the time signatures. thanks though.

If you want odd time signatures but not examples of their use, you can pretty much stick any number over a multiple of 4, where the top number is the number of beats and the bottom number is the relative length of them and/or how they're grouped.

You're probably best not to have the top number be vastly more than the bottom number anything up to about 12/4 is just about manageable but beyond that, things start to get unwieldy.

Time signatures with 8 or 16 as the bottom number are a bit easier, as the beats group together which creates a feel of fewer main beats. Hence my mention and other people's mention earlier of using 2s, 3s and 4s to combine and make larger numbers.

22/16 could be a group of 5, a group of 7, a group of 9, divided respectively as (2, 3), (2, 2, 3), (3, 2, 2, 2), which would feel more like 9 beats of varying length, rather than 22 individual beats of a metronome. This creates some sense of groove which you can count through and feel the beat more easily than just counting from 1-22. There are countless other ways you could divide this particular time signature, though.

Strobe

Reaction score
It's not obscure, and it's not ridiculous signatures, but there are dozens of time signature changes in the song Schism by Tool.

gnoll

Reaction score
I'm usually treating it as five 3-note pulses and its fun.

I have one song that alternates between 15/16 and 4/4 where the 15/16 measure is a mix of groups of 2, 3 and 4. The rest of the song is 4/4 and alternating 4/4 and 5/4. It kinda just happened though, I didn't realize it was that involved til I put it in guitar pro :p

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I have one song that alternates between 15/16 and 4/4 where the 15/16 measure is a mix of groups of 2, 3 and 4. The rest of the song is 4/4 and alternating 4/4 and 5/4. It kinda just happened though, I didn't realize it was that involved til I put it in guitar pro though :p
I love mathcore/math rock and I used to intentionally write in obscure time signatures as more of a challenge. Now its so ingrained I just figure out a riff to a steady click and then sort out the time signatures later. Rarely anymore do I land on a 4/4 on accident. Now I have to force myself into those patterns, lol.

gnoll

Reaction score
I love mathcore/math rock and I used to intentionally write in obscure time signatures as more of a challenge. Now its so ingrained I just figure out a riff to a steady click and then sort out the time signatures later. Rarely anymore do I land on a 4/4 on accident. Now I have to force myself into those patterns, lol.

My drummer once said about my music "if you want to find straight 4/4 sections you have to actively look for them". Oh well, I don't exist to make his life easy :p

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score

I'm kind of the same way. I legitimately think my brain is wired differently than most people (ignoring the debate of 4/4 being a nature vs. nurture kind of thing). When I write music, I almost never write in 4/4 and have always been that way. It's in no way intentional. Most of the time I'll write a riff I like, and when I finally put it down on paper or record it, it ends up being in 11, or something. It's honestly a bit frustrating when trying to collaborate with other musicians as it makes it quite a bit harder to get my ideas accepted and/or understood.

In response to OP's post, here's a song from my band that changes time signatures a ludicrous amount of times. Somewhere in the 110-120 range (although some of those are strictly so the measures won't have stupid amounts of ties between measures)
https://capturethesun.bandcamp.com/track/orogenesis

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I'm kind of the same way. I legitimately think my brain is wired differently than most people (ignoring the debate of 4/4 being a nature vs. nurture kind of thing). When I write music, I almost never write in 4/4 and have always been that way. It's in no way intentional. Most of the time I'll write a riff I like, and when I finally put it down on paper or record it, it ends up being in 11, or something. It's honestly a bit frustrating when trying to collaborate with other musicians as it makes it quite a bit harder to get my ideas accepted and/or understood.
Oh man, if I couldn't demo stuff with programmed drums I don't think my band would ever get anything done. Another reason I wish everyone who wanted to make music would at least read the first 3-4 pages of ANY music theory book where they explain basic rhythmic concepts and how to count. Now I just give the drummer a guitar track with a click and one with programmed drums and let him figure it out. Explaining it was a hair-pulling experience.

In response to OP's post, here's a song from my band that changes time signatures a ludicrous amount of times. Somewhere in the 110-120 range (although some of those are strictly so the measures won't have stupid amounts of ties between measures)
https://capturethesun.bandcamp.com/track/orogenesis
this is really good stuff, adding it on Apple Music till I go buy a bunch of stuff from bandcamp again.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
help me find some obscure ones, will you?
Why does this read like something said by a NPC out of Legend of Zelda? Help you find them? Why, who hid them?

In a time signature like 15/8, the number on top is the number of beats per measure, the number on bottom is the note that gets one beat. So, 15/8 means each measure has 15 8th notes. You can have any number of beats per measure and use any note duration for each beat, so it's not like there are a finite number of magical combinations here, you know?

Last edited: