ODs-extended range low tunings/TC Preamp?

• Thread starter Chugalug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So in my search for ODs to work with an already high gain amp and my new 27” scale 7 string drop A/drop G, I stumbled upon the TC preamp style pedals; Pepers Dirty Tree, Airis Electric Dragon and keep reading all the rage around the Dirty Tree due to the TC Preamp. That said to me the Electric Dragon might have a leg up with more tone shaping options, but unfortunately can’t get my hands on any unless I go on a shopping spree, so here I am hoping to get some input for you guys on those. Also, the Electric Eye Mud Killer is high on my list for low tuning extended range on an already high gain amp. Was ready to snatch one up, but then the TC preamp style popped up and made me think a bit more. I’m also aware an EQ could work as well, but really wanted to see what y’all think of the others for my purposes.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I would just grab this:

It’s a tweakable screamer and a tweakable TC-boost slapped into one enclosure for a really good price.

If you don’t want the screamer you can get their TC boost by itself for even cheaper but, I think that 2-in-1 would be able to tighten basically anything and let you sculpt your front-end as much as anyone would really want to.

I think high gain guys (me included) spend waaayy too much time shopping for and trying different OD pedals. Just get something super tweakable, tweak it to your liking, and move on to other parts of your rig.

Last edited:

DeathByButterslax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you normally playing straight in with your other axes? If so I would suggest an EQ up front with some reduced bass, mids/treble flat or to taste.

I agree with Bearitone, people overthink the OD thing (myself included).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
I have a Dirty Tree. I got it at first to have as an option, being a Maxon 808 fan, but it's become my main boost/shaper now. I don't think i'd use anything else for drop C or lower.

If it was just a 33 clone, it'd be severely limiting. But having the full tone controls makes it fantastic. I'd definitely advise a TC clone with the added bass and treble controls, rather than the 33.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
The Dirty Tree is cool but I also recommend looking into the Lichtlaerm Audio Aesahaettr and the Guptech Mad Honker.

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Dirty Tree is cool but I also recommend looking into the Lichtlaerm Audio Aesahaettr and the Guptech Mad Honker.
Thanks! The mud killer and Airis electric dragon were at the top, but I’ll definitely take a look at those others. Any thoughts on the Airis ED or Mud Killer?

Maxcannon

Reaction score
Dirty Tree user here with an Engl Fireball 25 and 28" 7 string in standard B. Gat has SD blackouts, I like a lot of gain but with the 6505MH I had prior to the Fireball I found the low end was a bit too loose.
With the dirty tree in front using TC mode it tightened up the low end nicely.
I haven't run it back to back against any other boosts to compare - but I do like what it does and don't feel the need to try anything else.
First tried it in 33 mode and found it a bit too thin for my liking.
Thought I may not need it with the Fireball but if anything, I like it more. Chunky palm mutes on the low strings sound and feel great.

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you normally playing straight in with your other axes? If so I would suggest an EQ up front with some reduced bass, mids/treble flat or to taste.

I agree with Bearitone, people overthink the OD thing (myself included).
Thanks! Yep, usually just straight in. Could still be fun to try them with an OD too.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Believe it or not the boss SD-1 handles low tunings a little better than a tube screamer in my opinion. I also have had really good luck using a metalzone clone as a boost because it has a bass control. I don’t prefer the midrange response of the Grind/TCIP stuff but it works great for others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I think the Friedman Buxom Boost is great for already high gain amps. Lots of clean boost and a Tight knob and a 3 band EQ that you can turn off. Don't think there's even any clipping/overdrive circuit in there, why I liked it. I used that for my Peavey Ultra or rack pre's. As for boosting lesser gain amps or high gain for that matter the one I still have and won't sell is the MXR M77. Think of it as an SD-1 or Wylde OD with a 100hz knob. It's got a nice nastiness to it and I always liked SD-1's over TS's.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Believe it or not the boss SD-1 handles low tunings a little better than a tube screamer in my opinion. I also have had really good luck using a metalzone clone as a boost because it has a bass control. I don’t prefer the midrange response of the Grind/TCIP stuff but it works great for others.
YEah if you can get a good deal on an SD-1, it rules. The peak freq is higher than a tubescreamer so you get more pick attack, and it cuts more bass which adds the clarity.

Also see the MXR Badass OD. Another SD-1 inspired pedal, but has a bass knob and a bump knob to emulate a Tubescreamer.
Dirty Tree user here with an Engl Fireball 25 and 28" 7 string in standard B. Gat has SD blackouts, I like a lot of gain but with the 6505MH I had prior to the Fireball I found the low end was a bit too loose.
With the dirty tree in front using TC mode it tightened up the low end nicely.
I haven't run it back to back against any other boosts to compare - but I do like what it does and don't feel the need to try anything else.
First tried it in 33 mode and found it a bit too thin for my liking.
Thought I may not need it with the Fireball but if anything, I like it more. Chunky palm mutes on the low strings sound and feel great.
The 33 mode is overkill unless you're using a muddier amp like an OG 5150, Recto, JCM800, etc etc. It's the last thing I'd wanna use on an engl. :lol:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I tend to like tighter amps and the only thing I've really liked my Dirty Tree with is on an ERG tuned really low or a really bass heavy amp, like a Recto. It really tightens an amp up, but if your amp is already tight, it makes it super anemic IMO.

that short guy

Reaction score
I have a few go to pedals that I use regularly

Boss EQ 200: clean boost, customized to your personal taste with a bonus of being able to run it in a 4 cable method so I can boost the front end and then do some tone sculpting in the loop

Pepers Dirty Tree: most pissed off sounding boost I've found. Controls are simple and it just works in a low tuned metal mix

Boss SD1: it's not a true clean boost, but it just sounds good. In my opinion it sounds better than a TS9 or 808 and they are incredibly affordable

Lichtlaerm Audio Aesahaettr: still very much in the honeymoon stage with this one seeing as I've only had it for a few weeks but I really like the EQ control options this gives

Chugalug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a few go to pedals that I use regularly

Boss EQ 200: clean boost, customized to your personal taste with a bonus of being able to run it in a 4 cable method so I can boost the front end and then do some tone sculpting in the loop

Pepers Dirty Tree: most pissed off sounding boost I've found. Controls are simple and it just works in a low tuned metal mix

Boss SD1: it's not a true clean boost, but it just sounds good. In my opinion it sounds better than a TS9 or 808 and they are incredibly affordable

Lichtlaerm Audio Aesahaettr: still very much in the honeymoon stage with this one seeing as I've only had it for a few weeks but I really like the EQ control options this gives
Thank you! That Lichtlaerm Aesahaettr has been intriguing with the EQ. Wish there were a few more people putting it through it’s paces to see how it interacts with a gamut of amps. The SD 805 OD caught my eye two, but is 3 band eq vs the 4 band on the Lichtlaerm.