Official Balaguer Guitars Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been taking my time to prototype and dial things in to launch my company. Figured it was about time to start a thread here so we can get to know one another.

I graduated luthiery school in 2009, gained experience repairing and building guitars throughout the last 4 years, but always ended up doing Social Media & Forum Marketing for smaller custom shops. I found that I wasn't truly happy doing JUST that for a multitude of reasons.

I have three designs I am currently drafting up, one of which I have already prototyped to completion. I'm CNCing the bodies and necks, Plek'ing each neck, and have Pat Wilkins doing all of my paint duties. All of this is done right in California, USA. Only 4 miles from where I live, lucky me!

I will be the only one updating this thread, building the guitars, and answering your questions. My website is currently being built, but in the meantime you can find me on facebook :

www.facebook.com/balaguerguitars

My approach is offering traditional designs that I have fallen in love with since I started playing guitar, but adding modern touches here and there. I'll update you all with more info as it comes. Any questions, just ask! :wavey:

- Joe

This is my first prototype of the Toro model. I am currently making a revision to extend the cutaways and also to squeeze the width of the body itself just a tad :

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh, cool, good for you. So you doing mostly 6 strings then? And can we see the other designs? And what does the name mean?

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I have no idea if he can make a good guitar, but Joe is a damn good friend and a heck ova guy! :rofl:

That guitar looks sweet man.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Oh, cool, good for you. So you doing mostly 6 strings then? And can we see the other designs? And what does the name mean?

I'll be building 7 strings as well. I know you're a fan of 8 and beyond haha, so I'm sorry but I have no plans to build 8s or above. I'll be posting pics of the other prototypes when I can. I work a full-time job as well as building guitars, so once I finish those up, I will definitely update you guys!

This fine young man's name is Balaguer, so that's where the name comes from.

Yeah it is my last name.

I have no idea if he can make a good guitar, but Joe is a damn good friend and a heck ova guy! :rofl:

That guitar looks sweet man.

Thanks brotha! I might end up sending this prototype around to some trusted friends, you included, to get some feedback. :agreed:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice to see this finally coming together, Joe! Congrats! :)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I'll be building 7 strings as well. I know you're a fan of 8 and beyond haha, so I'm sorry but I have no plans to build 8s or above.

:lol: Yep, I do likes my 8s! But mostly I'm excited for you. And for the love of GOD, don't follow in the footsteps of many of your fellow luthiers - please follow the Five Commandments of SSO Luthiery.

1) Thou shalt not take on more orders than can be handled.
2) Thou shall establish a Standard Operating Procedure for status updates, and stick to it. e.g. Build starts, paint, final assembly.
3) Thou shalt not take deposits and run off with the money.
4) Thou shalt not take more than 12 months for a build. Otherwise thou shall take on less orders.
5) Thou shall respect the First In, First Out ordering-delivering pattern.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
:lol: Yep, I do likes my 8s! But mostly I'm excited for you. And for the love of GOD, don't follow in the footsteps of many of your fellow luthiers - please follow the Five Commandments of SSO Luthiery.

1) Thou shalt not take on more orders than can be handled.
2) Thou shall establish a Standard Operating Procedure for status updates, and stick to it. e.g. Build starts, paint, final assembly.
3) Thou shalt not take deposits and run off with the money.
4) Thou shalt not take more than 12 months for a build. Otherwise thou shall take on less orders.
5) Thou shall respect the First In, First Out ordering-delivering pattern.

:lol: I know those rules all too well, because I have been on the receiving end before, believe me! The whole reason it has taken me since last February to get things rolling is because of all the ducks I need to line up in a row so I could do things the right way. Having a CNC shop at my disposal, dedicated build times, access to a Plek machine, and.....drum roll....an investor to help pay for it all! :rolleyes: I'm excited as well, and who knows...maybe I'll build an 8 just for you. Though I'm sure I would then have to offer them to everyone else! Ha.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new business and good luck!! Subbed here for updates and following you on facebook! :)

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Current line-up for 2015 :

Grace DC
25.5" Scale
Korina Neck
Ebony or Rosewood Fingerboard
Korina Body
3 way switch
1 volume, 1 tone
Custom designed humbuckers or P90s to my specs

Grace SC
25.5" Scale
Korina Neck
Ebony or Rosewood Fingerboard
Korina Body
3 way switch
1 volume, 1 tone
Custom designed humbuckers or P90s to my specs

Thicket
25.5" Scale
Hard Rock Maple Neck
Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard
Korina Body
5-way switch
1 volume, 1 tone
Custom designed humbuckers to my specs

Growler
25.5" Scale
Hard Rock Maple Neck
Korina Body
3 way switch
1 volume (push pull), 1 tone

Growler Baritone
27" Scale
Hard Rock Maple Neck
Korina Body
3 way switch
1 volume (push pull), 1 tone

I'm contemplating on making a 7 string Thicket if there is enough interest. What do you guys think? Going to start prototyping some ideas soon. I'm almost done with a Thicket for my buddy Beau. I'll post some pics when it is finished. :hbang:

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Great looking designs but way more traditional than I expected. (Said the guy who's main guitar product is a strat with extra strings)

Are you still doing any shreddy/metal guitars like the black one pictured previously in this thread?

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Great looking designs but way more traditional than I expected. (Said the guy who's main guitar product is a strat with extra strings)

Are you still doing any shreddy/metal guitars like the black one pictured previously in this thread?

Thanks Tom! My personal taste in guitars is actually more traditional, but I tend to always modify any "classic/traditional" guitars I own with modern touches.

The superstrat shape is under some heavy R&D. I'm not happy with the general shape of it, and want to hit the drafting table and come up with something a little more offset and possibly more...modern? I'm on the fence about it. Open to suggestions though! :hbang:

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Thanks Tom! My personal taste in guitars is actually more traditional, but I tend to always modify any "classic/traditional" guitars I own with modern touches.

The superstrat shape is under some heavy R&D. I'm not happy with the general shape of it, and want to hit the drafting table and come up with something a little more offset and possibly more...modern? I'm on the fence about it. Open to suggestions though! :hbang:

Superstrats are hard because they have been done to death and it's really hard to improve upon the iconic shapes out there already without either copying them or making something so off the wall that it looks weird. That's been my experience with them anyways. I bet your current superstrat would look pretty cool with a subtle offset to the body.

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Superstrats are hard because they have been done to death and it's really hard to improve upon the iconic shapes out there already without either copying them or making something so off the wall that it looks weird. That's been my experience with them anyways. I bet your current superstrat would look pretty cool with a subtle offset to the body.

100% agree. I ended up messing around with some mock-ups last night. I'll see if I can finish them up tonight or tomorrow and post them here for some feedback. Would be cool to have a collaborative effort from some members here on the design, then maybe I'd be more open to offering it in 7 strings as well. :yesway: :agreed:

JoeGuitar717

Balaguer Guitars
Reaction score
Few pics of a Custom Shop Thicket for Beau from the band Saosin. This is the last Thicket I'll be building that has 21 frets. Going forward they will have 22 frets, and will have a pickguard.

I won't be offering Evertune bridges as I really don't like how much wood is routed out to install them. This was special request from Beau though.

Nut still needs to be made, then set up and it is done!

Pickups are Bareknuckle Mule Set. One volume, 5 way super switch.
Body is Ash, Neck & Fingerboard are Hard Rock Maple. Black stain and finished with Tru Oil.

I'll post better pictures tomorrow. :metal:

floyo123

Sir.Shredalot
Reaction score
That Growler is quite interesting. Baritone also very interesting. If you start a proto and need some funds, pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts