Ohms Amps and Cabinets

• Thread starter Masquerade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masquerade

Reaction score
Someone explain this to me in the simplest of terms

I still don't understand how this stuff works

So lets take for instance I have a EvH iii Mini thats hooked up to a PPC412

Would I set the head to 8Ω and use both input jacks in the back of the cabinet? (Which is 16Ω)

This is probably the easiest thing to understand but its just not making sense to me

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
16 ohm on amp, though one jack on cab. Check to see if all speakers are working by putting your face next to each one. If not, turn off amp quickly

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Don't do that.

Just use 1 x 16 ohm output into 1 x 16 ohm input on the cab. Orange cabs have parallel jacks so can be used to pass through to another cab.

If you use 2 cabs @ 16 ohms, you should use 2 x 8 ohm outputs from the amp.

Putting a higher resistance output from the amp into a lower resistance cab you can fry your amp.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
Don't do that.

Just use 1 x 16 ohm output into 1 x 16 ohm input on the cab. Orange cabs have parallel jacks so can be used to pass through to another cab.

If you use 2 cabs @ 16 ohms, you should use 2 x 8 ohm outputs from the amp.

Putting a higher resistance output from the amp into a lower resistance cab you can fry your amp.

Ahhh.... That's what I said... :scratch:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Ahhh.... That's what I said... :scratch:

Almost.

But also confirming that the inputs were parallel, therefore should drive all speakers.

I'll admin that I should not have said "Don't do that", or rather meant the original post. :wallbash:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
One of the jacks on the Orange is an input and the other is an output to daisy chain to another cab.

Run one output of the EVH at 16ohms into one of the jacks on the Orange. Done :yesway:

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
highjacking the thread, i had my amp set to 16 ohm by mistake, plugged in my 2x12 rated at 8 ohm and played for about a couple of hours. i didn't notice anything wrong, but is this enough to have damaged anything?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
highjacking the thread, i had my amp set to 16 ohm by mistake, plugged in my 2x12 rated at 8 ohm and played for about a couple of hours. i didn't notice anything wrong, but is this enough to have damaged anything?

I accidentally ran my legacy 1 and 16 ohm into my cab set at 8 ohm and it fried the fuk out of it. nasty electrical fire smell and everything. fortunately, it was fixable, though it cost me $200. lesson learnt.

TheWinterSnow

Reaction score
All speaker outputs on mono amplifiers are in parallel to each other. On a mono cabinet, the inputs are parallel too, rendering one input an input and the other an output to another cabinet.

If you have a 16 ohm cabinet, set the amp to 16 ohms, plug in into any one of the inputs of the cabinet. If you have a stereo cabinet, plug into the mono input and set the amp to 8 ohms.

You don't need to use two cables.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score

If it still sounds OK, you're probably still good. You find that you're losing volume and/or definition then you may need it looked at.

What burns out is the output transformer. I killed that on a Marshall by stupidly plugging an 8ohm per side stereo cab into 16ohm outputs for multiple rehearsals at high volume. It died expensively.

Mike

Reaction score
Well since I still don't see a clear answer on the whole Amp/Cab Ohm matching, here's my explanation:

Impedance is measured in (Ω) Ohms. Impedance determines how much current will flow through a component. A very high impedance allows a small amount of current to flow (i.e. a 16 ohm speaker load draws less current than an 8 ohm amp is ready to supply, but it will work safely). A very low impedance allows a large amount of current to flow (i.e. a 4 ohm speaker load draws too much current from an 8 ohm amp, ultimately overheating the amp).

Unacceptable Ohm Mismatches: When connecting any amplifier to an external cabinet it is important to keep in mind that the ohm load of your cabinet should not be lower in number than the ohm rating of your amplifier (which can cause the amplifier to fail). I.e. - If the amp output has an overall rating of 8 ohms DO NOT run with an external cab that has an overall rating of 4 ohms.

Acceptable Ohm Mismatches: It is acceptable to run the overall ohm load output of an amplifier to a cabinet that is higher in number. I.e. If your amp output has an overall output rating of 8 ohms you can run into an external cabinet that has an overall rating of 16 ohms. Be aware that you will lose ~15-20 percent of perceived volume with solid state power amplifiers when running this type of ohm mismatch, but you will suffer no failures. Ideally, try to match the ohm values of your amp and cabinet (I.e. 8 ohm head with 8 ohm cabinet) to ensure the best performance without putting dangerous strain on your gear.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
^ well at least that turned out well. how long did you play it on the wrong settings though?

It happened immediately when I switched the standby off, it had been warming up during the previous band's hour-long set, though, set wrong the whole time. Probably just building up and waiting to pop. Once I opened the floodgates, it was quick to smokey devastation.