Ok guys, feeling like a n(@)@)b....I uh...

• Thread starter asilayamazing
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
Lost all my gear and bought a les Paul jr. It's just got one pickup. I guess a p-90. Unfamiliar territory. I have a live wire pickup I've been meaning to use (Dave mustaine?),similar to emg I want to install, this guitar has one pickup routed. Obviously I need to do some work, but I was just wondering if the "probably" standard size humbucker ie. live wire would fit in the bridge(p-90), or if I need to route the p-90 for the live wire to fit and make a new hole for the p90 in rhythm/neck position?

God I feel dumb, but I don't use p-90's......:wallbash:

Or even cheap les Paul's......:mad:

Thanks guys.....

Will a p90 fit a humbucker. X100000.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what the rout on your guitar looks like but normally a p-90 rout will not fit a standard humbucker. A decent tech could rout that to fit your pickup or you could trade someone for a p-90 size pickup that drops right in. I may still have a new EMG p60 that I could sell on the cheap, I'd need to check the shop first though. You can also get the 81 and 85 that fits your guitar without modifying it. You'll just have to figure out where to put the battery unless it fits in your control cavity. If going active with a battery doesn't work out Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan both have some really nice p90 sized pickups with a multitude of different voicings that should get you what you need.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what the rout on your guitar looks like but normally a p-90 rout will not fit a standard humbucker. A decent tech could rout that to fit your pickup or you could trade someone for a p-90 size pickup that drops right in. I may still have a new EMG p60 that I could sell on the cheap, I'd need to check the shop first though. You can also get the 81 and 85 that fits your guitar without modifying it. You'll just have to figure out where to put the battery unless it fits in your control cavity. If going active with a battery doesn't work out Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan both have some really nice p90 sized pickups with a multitude of different voicings that should get you what you need.

So, since I wasn't offering to buy anything and your telling me, a standard sized humbucker ie. 85/81 most likely fit in live wire will fit in my p90 rout?

:eek:

SKoG

Reaction score
A p90 route is longer and skinnier than a humbucker mount. A regular humbucker is around 0.2 inches wider than a p90. Here are the exact measurements of emg's humbuckers and p90s for reference (pdfs)

HB-
http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/h/_/h_0230-0106d.pdf

p90-
http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/P/9/P90_Instructions 0230-0121B.pdf

As you can see the humbucker would need almost .2 inches more width to fit, and lengthwise it would look funny in the route unless you got some kind of custom pickup ring. You'd have to route it wider and have it look funny or get a p90-sized humbucker, which most companies have a few varieties of.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Sell it as is and get a guitar closer to the specs that you want. If you don't even like Les Pauls, it seems like a lot of effort/money to put out. Plus, most people that are hunting down a LP Jr will be turned off by the 'bucker rout. You'd have to find one very specific buyer if you opt to sell it in the future.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
get the tone zone P90 replacement humbucker. its ridiculously good AND it'll fit in a p90 route

DiMarzio DP210 Tone Zone P-90 Pickup | Musician's Friend
here's what i've done with it[SC]https://soundcloud.com/shehatesmytie/nostalgia-v-1-0-wip[/SC]
People say good things about the tone zone. I had some dimarzios that were "hot" at the time or what not I ended up back with emg, what are the tone zones close too? I can't remember what dimazzzzzz I had..... I traded em out to someone.......hmmm wtf..... Lol. I think was born of Osiris pups or something. Hmmmmmm I'm gonna be racking my brain now........:nuts:

Edit I think I traded to jolo? Jolo whats those pups *****? Lol

Edit 2: I'm feeling for a crunchy kinda punky guitar so I bought the one with the p-90 I have no experience with singles really though..... But I'm thinking crunchy loud leads? Maybe the p-90 stay in bridge for loud gnarly lead and Dave/active go to rhythm?