Old Yamaha Content OGD?

• Thread starter Neilzord
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
Well, I Thought now I'm on a guitar forum I would share my "beast" of a Yamaha.

Found this guitar about 11 years ago after I'd be playing guitar only a year or two and wanted something with a Floyd Rose.
I certainly wasn't looking for this, more a low-end Ibanez or something similar around the £200-230 mark. The guys in the guitar shop I used to frequently visit pointed me to this old Yamaha in the corner and said its worth a try! (back when most guitar shops stocked loads of awesome second hand gear)... I Had a go and it played great, so Picked it up for £130! and I Couldn't of been happier haha! Played my first gig with it a week later in a metal cover band playing Metallica / Megadeth / Maiden lol

After a while playing it and messing with the set up countless times I finally figured out what I was doing with that F'in Floyd Rose and had this guitar Dialed In perfectly!

Its a Yamaha RGX421PRO from what I've found it was made in Korea In the late 80's-90's, So its nearly as old as me!
It has H/S/H Pickup layout , 5 way selector, 24 Jumbo frets (the top 5 frets are scalloped under the highest 3 strings) And I have since replaced the standard bridge pickup with a Dimarzio tone zone F which brought this guitar to life!

Anyway, After playing many guitars this is still one of the guitars I pick up alot of the time. Its really stood the test of time!!

(sorry for the essay, Finally giving this guitar the praise it deserves haha)

And Here's some pics of the old dog

Still yet to see another one anywhere other than Google images.

This one is definitely a keeper :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

s4tch

Reaction score
Yamahas are seriously underrated. Most Pacifica and RGX models offer great bang for the buck. It's not surprising that you consider it a keeper. :yesway:

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I don't think it was made in 1985. Likely the 90's.

I love Yami's - mainly Pacificas. I just had an RGX621D for a little bit. Awesome guitars to be had in the $200 range all day long.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, Yamaha is CRAZY underrated in the guitar community. My Attitude bass is still one of the best basses, from a quality stand point, that I've ever owned, even when going against my old EBMMs.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
Yamaha is the dark horse of mthe guitar world the way i see it. They have made some amazing yet almost completely unknown guitars that don't get the recognition they deserve for sure. Also, amazing motorcycles:cool:

vangkm

Reaction score
I always wanted to check out one of those older Yamahas since I heard they were great guitars. They never seem to pop up around here used though and I'm too scared to take a shot on one online.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
That guitar was made between 1995 - 1997. I have two RGX621's from the same period.

vangkm

Reaction score
You're not risking too much, they are crazy cheap in the US.

They are but some of the models I'm looking at (set neck super strats) are still quite pricey. The Ty Tabor ones are as well.

IDK about spending over $500 on a guitar I have no experience with and knowing the resale will be harder if I don't like it. That's all that's holding me back.

If I find a killer deal on one though I will not hesitate.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
They are but some of the models I'm looking at (set neck super strats) are still quite pricey. The Ty Tabor ones are as well.

IDK about spending over $500 on a guitar I have no experience with and knowing the resale will be harder if I don't like it. That's all that's holding me back.

If I find a killer deal on one though I will not hesitate.

The Ty Tabor model is well worth much more than what they sell for used. On my list of things to buy. That said Pacificas and RGXs of all price ranges are a whole lot of fun to pick up on the cheap (can often be found for $100) and fix up into players. Pickups, hardware, re-finish = gigging guitar that looks and sounds like a premium model, about $225-$350 total investment.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
I have one of these, bought new in about 1993, in aqua. Still going strong with a really good sound and gorgeous neck. Built in Indonesia but with the usual incredibly high Yamaha QA/QC you should always look past the country of origin to the instrument beneath.

I think I paid about £329... I still have the receipt somewhere.

Awesome guitar.

Attachments

• 20120715_160659-1308222185.jpg
    20120715_160659-1308222185.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7