One lug un-tuning itself

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
Hey.

My kit has an issue with the 12" tom. One lug un-tunes itself and starts rattling around. Is there anything smart that can be done to solve that?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I know it's a common problem with snare lugs closest to your snare-hitting-hand coming loose from rim shots, and I ended up grabbing one of those torque key thingies (maybe the evans one?) so I could fix it quickly without much thought. I've also heard of locks you can put on them to stop any movement. Never tried them though. It's tempting. Probably some cheap ones out there worth trying out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Some sort of lubricant will work.

Not sure how well this will work for you, but you could try tuning the tom higher than you normally do to put more tension on the drum/lug.

gnoll

Reaction score
Cool, will have a look for the stuff mentioned, thanks!!

I'm afraid the drum has taken some rimshot abuse over the years. Luckily I haven't had the issue with any snares. But I've been thinking some hoops might be a bit screwed up. I'm about to start tuning the drums up more attentively for recording so we'll see if I run into more problems I guess!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
A dab of blue Locktite where it threads should do the trick.
Seconded. Do not use the other kinds unless you want the lug to stick forever. Blue locktite is specifically designed to keep stuff from loosening threads from vibration, though. It's like a somewhat stickier, slightly gritty chapstick. :yesway: