Orange cab, 2x12 now or 4x12 later?

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
How good are the Orange 2x12 cabs? I know the 4x12 cabs come highly recommended.

I found a 2x12 fitted with Celestion vintage 30's in the states that will cost me $950 AUD with shipping and I am wondering if I should get this or if I should wait for a 4x12, other than volume what will I be missing out on with the 2x12?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
you wont be missing out on volume, just sound spread and thus punch - I THINK.

do you need a 412?

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
Dude there cabs are sooo fuckin nice, we have them in stock and they are amazing! Honestly IMO its worth going for the 4x12 as they are only about 100-150$ more.... so it really is worth it

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
you wont be missing out on volume, just sound spread and thus punch - I THINK.

do you need a 412?

No idea, I guess that is what I am asking. I could really get away with a power amp and some speakers at the moment, for the time being all I will use it for is practice. But in the future that will change and I prefer to buy good gear the first time rather than spending less now and having to sell and upgrade later.

This is the reason I am going for a orange cab, I can get other cabs used here for a lot less money, but I don't know if they are any good. My reason for going for an orange is because they have such a good reputation here, personally I hate the colour but you don't buy a cab for it's colour.

I think the 2x12 will be enough for a long time for me as it will not leave the house for a while, also I will be playing at very low volumes for a while but one day I will want to upgrade. On one hand the 2x12 is more practical because of size, on the other the 4x12 will never need upgrading and will most likely be easier to sell if I ever decide to. I guess the main thing that will determine the decision is will the 2x12 sound every bit as good as the 4x12 or is the 4x12 superior.

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
humbucker_1986_6077302

"i hate the color" well sir, orange no longer has to hear this because for the first time in 40 years of buisness they now offer there product line in BLACK! yes i said it, you can now get orange amplifiers in black tolex....

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I know but I have not seen any on ebay yet and the only black matamp cabs I have seen are fucking expensive.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i haven't got to play the 2x12 but all i can say it's that the 4x12 is beyond awesome. I couldn't believe my ears when i first heard this thing. Orange cabs are absolutely worth every penny if you consider how much better an amp sounds through them.
Anyway, i've heard nothing but good about the 2x12. I'd say go for it if you want to be able to carry it by yourseld. The 4x12 weights about 60kg (yes, sixty fucking kilograms)!!!

did i mention i love orange cabs!?

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Think I'm going to give this one a miss while I decide which one I want, especially considering I just paid twice as much for the nailbombs as I was going to spend on the dimarzios that I was going to get.

60kg :holy: that's going to cost a lot more to ship than the 125 I was quoted for the 2x12.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
The only downside to the Orange 4x12 cab is that they weigh roughly 100 lbs and they are HUGE (very deep and the wood is super-thick) so moving them can be a challenge unless you have a friend with a good back who is willing to help you. :D I wouldn't choose Orange as a gigging cab unless your friends don't mind helping you move it or you're a pro musician with roadies to move your gear for you. :lol: That said, they make a damn fine cabinet and I would say go for a 4x12 over the 2x12 IMO. :agreed:

That almost makes me want to retolex mine... :wub:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded, I have decided that in the future I will get a Orange 4x12. For now I will get some more important gear that I need, I will leave the cab until last and probably concentrate on getting a decent set of speakers and amp for my PC and Pod X3 Live to use until then.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd get a 212 - they mic you at gigs, and you'll still be able to hear yourself. if you get a 212 now, you can buy another 212 later. if you buy a 412 now, you'll probably sell it down the line to get a 212 :p

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
if you buy a 412 now, you'll probably sell it down the line to get a 212 :p

i don't mean to be an asshole, but i don't understand the logic on that. :shrug:

i acknowledge the advantages of a 212, but i don't see why people with 412s will probably end up selling their cabs to get 212s...

i love the spread/fullness of an angled 412, which can't be replaced by one 212

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i don't mean to be an asshole, but i don't understand the logic on that. :shrug:

i acknowledge the advantages of a 212, but i don't see why people with 412s will probably end up selling their cabs to get 212s...

i love the spread/fullness of an angled 412, which can't be replaced by one 212

i dont mean he'll sell his 412 any time in the Near future (dunno how old he is). but at a certain point, a guitarist realizes "hey, i can barely move the damn thing, and i can get a smaller cab that still does the job". basically im saying once you get older in years, you generally stop Moving around 412s, or you keep it at the house and buy a 212 to take places.

am i making more sense? i apologize, i am not doin too well at getting my thoughts across these days :(

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know too much about the orangeg 412's other than they are supposed to be great. I have played through the 212 and it was one of the best ones I've tried...

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
The only downside to the Orange 4x12 cab is that they weigh roughly 100 lbs and they are HUGE (very deep and the wood is super-thick) so moving them can be a challenge unless you have a friend with a good back who is willing to help you. :D I wouldn't choose Orange as a gigging cab unless your friends don't mind helping you move it or you're a pro musician with roadies to move your gear for you. :lol:

oh please, i lug my Vaders, which are roughly the same weight as an orange to gigs myself. i don't need no stinkin' roadies :flex:

as long as the club doesn't have any stairs, i'm alright :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
mesa mark IV combo isnt as good as a JCM800 halfstack?

c'mon now. more speakers does not equal better.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
So those JCM800's are good eh, wish I knew that yesterday.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get the 2x12. I have one and it absolutely kicks ass and is light enough to carry without giving yourself a hernia :agreed:

(or at least it was until I replaced the v30s with EVM-12Ls :lol:)

Latest posts