Orange Dark Terror (revisited...)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey all,

I used to have an Orange Dark Terror but I kind of hated that amp. It always sounded way too fizzy and scooped for me so I got rid of it eventually. Then I was watching some high quality demos of the Dark Terror a while ago on YouTube and I realised that the amp sounded great in their videos... That made me wonder, was my old one broken???! So, I bought another one and WOW, this one sounds soooo good haha! I'm glad because I'm just a big Orange fan so now I have basically all the Orange lunchbox amps.

I made a little demo with my ESP LTD Phoenix Black metal. That guitar sounds just great with this amp. Check it out and let me know what you think of the Dark Terror? Do you love it or hate it perhaps? What settings do you like to use on yours?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Drop in a NOS JAN5751 in the PI. works wonderful for the terrors and totally worth it.

On the cheap the Sovtek 12AX7LPS is a great PI tube as well.

Bearitone

Reaction score
My favorite lunch box amp by a mile! I got great clean tones from mine too

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Dammit Jon, stop making me want to buy stuff lol! Great demo as usual, I used to own one of these myself. I sold it when funds got right but I always really loved it. I thought it had a great tone, a little more modern that most oranges but that’s what I liked about it. You’ve got it sounding great here! Really like that Phoenix also.

On a side note I was watching some older videos and you’ve lost a bunch of weight. Don’t know what you’re doing but you look great!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Dammit Jon, stop making me want to buy stuff lol! Great demo as usual, I used to own one of these myself. I sold it when funds got right but I always really loved it. I thought it had a great tone, a little more modern that most oranges but that’s what I liked about it. You’ve got it sounding great here! Really like that Phoenix also.

On a side note I was watching some older videos and you’ve lost a bunch of weight. Don’t know what you’re doing but you look great!

Thanks man! Keto and intermittent fasting is my secret! It works very well for me. I'm actually doing it now as well to lose some pounds that I've gained over the past months.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I enjoyed the Dark Terror while I had it. My favorite were the clean tones on it. I'd run the gain around touch sensitive OD breakup. Overall warm and a little Vox style sparkly grit on top. Overall the gain was a little too slushy for me for rhythm but I thought it had a nice greasy lead tone.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I enjoyed the Dark Terror while I had it. My favorite were the clean tones on it. I'd run the gain around touch sensitive OD breakup. Overall warm and a little Vox style sparkly grit on top. Overall the gain was a little too slushy for me for rhythm but I thought it had a nice greasy lead tone.

Slushy is a good word to describe the tone though :)