Ormsby Custom Guitar Build Process REVIEW

• Thread starter Df5c4eb3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Df5c4eb3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m posting this write-up to Reddit, SevenString forums and UltimateGuitar forums. Didn’t know where else to put it. Just using a throwaway account.

I wanted to write a review of my horrendous experience ordering a custom Ormsby Hypemachine 2016. It’s been a while since the whole thing was resolved, but I just came across a bunch of pictures I’d saved of the process and it bubbled up old feelings of dissatisfaction/anger. I thought it might be helpful to save other people from this headache.

Here’s how the process went:

1) You wait on their website to put in your name. I BARELY made it to a computer in time to put my order in. There were only 17 slots for the Hypemachines. I clicked “order” the second they opened the doors and I was still like 6th in line. First come first served. I was pretty excited.

2) You send an initial payment through PayPal (This was JULY 2015) KEEP THAT DATE IN MIND.

3) You then begin a payment plan to pay in batches as time goes on. This was not renewed to completion, so halfway through the process you’ve paid some random amount and have no idea what else you owe.

4) You fill out a long excel spreadsheet of specs that make you feel really excited and special. I’ve included a screenshot of part of it below with my custom questions/concerns (not one single thing I put into the spreadsheet was questioned – nobody ever asked about my tuning, about a few other unique items I was asking for)

5) You join a private Facebook group where all of your “updates” occur

6) You wait. And wait. And wait…

2016 came and went. 2017 came and went. 2018 came and went. Some people got their guitars by then, but not everyone. Finally mine and another guy’s were last. He got his at the start of 2019 I believe after much badgering of Perry Ormsby, but I was fed up by JUNE 2019 so I asked (multiple times) for a refund, which I FINALLY received.

Now keep in mind Perry is in Australia. So basically I invested in the Australian dollar for 4 years and just ended up losing money, since the US dollar ended up being stronger four years later. I basically just ended up making a NEGATIVE $200+ investment in 4 years. And no guitar.

For some reason and because of my lack of faith in humanity, I had been taking pictures of our Facebook group the entire time whenever people asked for updates or Perry lied about deadlines/refunds/VIP packs/etc. I’ll post some of the screenshots I took. This is not even all of them. I direct messaged other members of the group who were infuriated. A couple people said the guitars that they received weren’t even that and they wished they could undo the entire process. Perry was often rude to people in the group and made it seem like we weren’t asking for updates frequently enough or had left out info from our spec sheets. As far as I know, NOBODY IN THE GROUP has received their VIP packs yet as of MAY 2020.

This was my first custom guitar purchase. What a garbage experience. A few more random things off the top of my head:

1) The only pictures I got of my guitar were pieces of the neck and body randomly. Nothing else…Maybe 5 pics of just parts?

2) During this entire time, people are posting in the HypeGTR group about their AWESOME NEW GUITARS and posting about Jared Dine’s 17-string etc etc. As in – the company is 100% ignoring your backlogged guitars and is blatantly working on other junk and PR stuff...

3) I use a special tuning (perfect fourths) which I specified in my specs. Nobody ever asked me about it.

4) I asked if I could have a blower switch installed. Nobody ever asked me about it.

5) Perry would flat out not respond sometimes. Nobody else at Ormsby would answer you if you messaged them.

6) You honestly had no idea how much the guitar would cost at the end. Our monthly payments stopped in probably 2016, so who KNOWS how much parts were for the final bill.

7) Perry Ormsby used just about every excuse in the book for not getting back to people and not updating us. He had a kid, he got the flu, he was in a dirtbike accident of some sort, his dog ate his homework…LIFE HAPPENS MAN. He is completely unapologetic and doesn’t realize how bad this way of dealing with clients really is.

8) Maybe things at Ormsby have changed in the last…5 years? Doubtful. With guys like this in charge, it’s pretty hard to get past it.

That’s all for now. Hope this helps someone. Pics are below. I obviously blurred names and tried to order by date. Might be a bit confusing, but hopefully you get the gist.

EDIT: I guess I can't create links yet but when I'm able to I will include the link below. In the meantime you can DM me and I'll send you the pics if you're interested.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
definitely not the first time I've heard people have issues with getting a custom from ormsby.

If it makes you feel better, I waited 2 years for a fucking moore burst goliath, and 1.5 years for a beto blue hype 8. They were very well made and qc'd guitars ime but definitely not worth that kind of wait.
I'm still waiting on the competition Perry did where they were going to give a free guitar to someone that preordered in run 6. Never heard anything about it after the initial hype when run 6 opened...
Oh and don't forget the muscle car custom run which is like 10 years of waiting at this point lmao.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
shitshow of a company kept afloat by cockwamble fanboys.

Yeah, it's usually a pretty big red flag when builders get chased off the forums or just ghost from all media that they can't directly control.

To that end, there's a reason Perry doesn't really post here anymore.

Also, ”cockwamble”. :rofl: That's a new one for me. Love it.

Df5c4eb3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
cockwamble AHAHAHAHA.

Within just 1 day I've already gotten replies @ Reddit and Ultimate guitar with the same sentiment. I honestly hope Google's algorithms pick up on these threads and can save a few people from pain.

There's really not much bad press out there about them directly...Mostly just anecdotes. What a joke.

I play music

Reaction score
I really like some of their multiscale designs but won't buy because of what I have seen and heard about them. I was in their Facebook group and did not enjoy their way of communication.

Df5c4eb3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really wish I was aware of everything back when I ordered the thing in 20 F-ING 15

Bodes

Reaction score
Sorry to hear to were treated like absolute shit by Perry. He was an arse to deal with and took him ages to agree to refund my build about 5 years back.

I saw runs being completed that were not even being offered until well into 18 months after he took my deposit, even before my guitar was started. His fan bois were the worst as well.

I try not to live in the past about such negative experiences, but just wanted to send my condolences for you having dealt with such a cockwamble! (I love that insult!)

Edika

Reaction score
After being in this forums for so many years I'll never order a custom instrument from any luthier. I might buy an in stock or second hand one if I have the cash but no orders!

When the GT Hypermachine runs came out I almost pulled the trigger twice. And I mean I had it in my basket, payment plan selected and I was on the PayPal page ready to press order. But both times I decided not to. I was on their Facebook page and the way the guy communicated was quite quite rude and arrogant. Like he was God's gift to guitar making. Regardless of how good his guitars the design that made him popular is a complete ripoff of the Blackmachines sans the headstock.

I managed to also finally try one of the GT run guitars and I didn't get the hype . I was not a fan of the neck profile, it played decently and sounded good but nothing extraordinary and had several small finish flaws.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
After being in this forums for so many years I'll never order a custom instrument from any luthier. I might buy an in stock or second hand one if I have the cash but no orders!

There's maybe one or two people I'd ever trust to build me a custom. Dan (Oni) is one, Doug (Blackmachine) is the other (Unless something has changed, I have to admit I haven't kept up with BM lately - last I remember the wait times were crazy, but accurate, and he limited the amount he made very well - IE: few enough he could actually keep up with the level of production and charged accordingly). Basically any "flavour of the month" luthier is a no-go for me.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I can concur that the "Ormsbros" facebook gang is pretty insufferable. The Hype run 1 I had was fine, but hardly inspiring. But the social media, Perry and his followers completely turned me off the whole brand.

Oh yea, and I'm still waiting for my Run 1 goodies...

Df5c4eb3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HAHA so the VIP packages have been fake all the way back to Run 1?! That's just insane. I found even more pictures I'd taken of Perry being a dick to guys in the GTR thread as well. I don't think I've ever posted a negative review of a single business in my life. Maybe some individual Amazon purchases, but nothing like this. And yet something from very early on told me I should be screenshotting all of his douchebaggery along the way. What a joke.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow I'm glad I've never decided to save up and go after an Ormsby custom build. I'll just stick to ordering a Kiesel, Suhr, or Anderson down the road when I can afford it.

MSK Guitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. A custom guitar build should never be like that. As a client, you really should be made to feel like the most important person in the world. Anything less simply isn't acceptable. If you are ever in Aus, come hang out in the workshop. You supply the wood and components, we can build you the guitar of your dreams. No charge.

Reaction score
Damn, I thought some of their guitars did look wild and cool. Too bad it's a horror story brand. Guess I'm living their facebook...

Latest posts