Ormsby guitar without their pickups

jayarpeggios

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a custom from them that I am super excited for, but I'm really not sold on their in house pickups, I'm sure they are fine but I am picky. I don't want to be rude and tell them it's a no deal if I have to use their pickups, but for north of 3K+ USD for their custom shop, in house pups are a deal breaker for me. Looking for every NGD Ormsby I could find, every guitar seems to be with in house pickups. Has anyone had any success getting a custom from them with something else?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
He will encourage you to use his pickups because they match his routes, angles and string spacing while a custom multiscale set is going to need all those dimensions which leaves you with very limited options. That’s it you’re going multiscale. Standard scales you won’t have a problem. Just ask him, it’s not like you’re asking to put someone else’s name on the headstock.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sojorel

Scourge
Reaction score
I put some BKP aftermaths onto new baseplates and installed them in my ormsby. Some other smaller pickup companies like Instrumental (I think) will do pickups to the same spread.

You can also get the stock pickups rewound as another option.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Ormsby pickups are very good. easily as good as any other boutique, have a lot of options to choose from, and he'll wind something for you a little bit different if you really want for the custom.

it's probably the only thing on that guitar that will turn out perfectly.

although I wouldn't ever want to have to talk to him enough for all of that to happen.

good luck man.

A-Branger

Reaction score
give the stock pickups a try first, they come with the guitar so why not?, before you spend extra cash on aftermarket stuff. Theres a wide range of pickups offered at no extra cost if you order a custom

if you really want a X set of pickups in your guitar you got two options:

1- get a set of baseplates, then swap the baseplates with your X set pickups
2- When your guitar is about to be done, ship us your set of pickups and we will swap the baseplates for you and instal them into your custom. We are more than happy to do so, and infact this would be an option on the new customshop order form we are working on

mind you this is for passive pickups only. IF you want actives (lets say fishmans as its the current trend), then email us so we can tell you how much for the re-routing for it on your custom. Mind you, you would have to buy the next size up pickup (so a 7 string soapbar for a 6 string guitar) this as the angles we use are more extreme so you want all the strings to go over the polepieces/rails

and also mind you this is for customshop guitars. If you planing to buy a GTR, then your only option is to buy a spare set of baseplates and do the swap yourself, we wont do modifications to GTRs. Only using our own range of pickups

send us an email is the best option to answer your questions :)

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, their in-house pickups are excellent.

Personally I'd order the guitar with them. Try them out and if you don't vibe with them, put them up for sale, buy some pickups you do like and one of the baseplates, either do the swap yourself or get a tech to do it. You'll sell the stock pickups easy enough, there's a decent market for them.

That all goes out the window if you want active though, as @A-Branger said, actives will require a different route.