Overdue NGD: Green Dot Goodness

TunedToB

Reaction score
So I posted here quite some time ago asking for help deciding among an RG752 (the purple one), a S5227QFX, an OG Greendot and a K7 for my new 7 string.

Long story short, I tried them all but the UV7 absolutely crushed everything, no question! (The K7 and S5227 were tied for a very close 2nd place but the UV neck was the real winner)

Aside from being one of my dream guitars since I was a teen, it's also one of that rarer models with an original Edge 7, so that's a really cool bonus even though I'm not much of a trem user.

The frets are pretty worn out and body has dings and dents but there are no major issues with the bridge, locking nut, neck, etc. So it has pretty standard wear and tear for a guitar almost 30 years old, which I don't mind.

Plus, I totally get the hype now. Like...man, I thought I knew what "effortless" felt like but then I tried this neck profile. The neck is unreal - extremely comfy and very natural feeling. It makes me old LTD H7 feel like a baseball bat but the shape isn't SUPER flat to the point it hurts my wrist. Riffs and licks just fly out of this guitar like nobody's business.

I have no issues with the Blazes - they're very big and very beefy sounding with plenty of grind for that delicious death metal chug. Sure they aren't they tightest or the most modern sounding, but rhythms are ballsy and leads are very easy to pull off with all that output. I had the pleasure of trying it out through a good friend's Ironheart 120 half stack and it sounded FILTHY. Just disgustingly, brutally good in a dark, thick way.

And that brings me to another point: this thing is LOUD. Even unplugged, it was noticeable louder than the RG752 and S5227 I tried as well as and my LTD.

It's currently being set up, cleaned, and being fit with Dunlop 6000's by a fantastic tech in my city, so I can't wait to pick it up in a couple of days.

And here's to many, many days, months, and years of shredding the hell out of this thing :rocker:

(Forgive the shit pics. Don't have a decent camera, just my iPhone :lol:)

Attachments

• green-dot-goodness-seven-string-guitar.jpeg
    green-dot-goodness-seven-string-guitar.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Congrats man! Looks awesome.

One of my friends recently got one of these and I've been super jealous, they are so nice to play.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I always heard good things about the UV necks, easy playing for sure. Never liked the green pickups though, as they clash with the black body. Nevertheless, congrats on the new arrival.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
My '91 Green Dot is beat to hell and back but it's still the best playing 7 I've ever picked up and has mojo for days. Even the middle pickup on it sounds great and I hate middle pickups.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I always heard good things about the UV necks, easy playing for sure. Never liked the green pickups though, as they clash with the black body. Nevertheless, congrats on the new arrival.

Huh, interesting. I feel like the green pickups really make it. It seems like the perfect balance of green to black.

TunedToB

Reaction score
My '91 Green Dot is beat to hell and back but it's still the best playing 7 I've ever picked up and has mojo for days. Even the middle pickup on it sounds great and I hate middle pickups.

That's sick, man. Yeah that's how I would describe this one as well. I've enjoyed other 7s but this one just drips this with certain mojo and I can't put it down easily.

TunedToB

Reaction score

Yeah it's definitely not for everyone although I love it in an old-school retro way. The white UV is actually my favorite Universe by far, but good luck to anyone trying to find one at a decent price.

77zark77

Reaction score
Big Congrats and welcome to the club ! :)
I'm not surprised you've been seduced by the magic UV neck

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Great score. A MUST have Ibby model and yep....gotta love that neck profile!!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Been seeing a lot of these in really good condition go up for sale lately. Congrats on snagging one. :yesway:

I've been very tempted.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Huh, interesting. I feel like the green pickups really make it. It seems like the perfect balance of green to black.

They are different and a nice addition if your collection is a bit predictable in colour schemes. I just feel that they look like a pickup swap happened and the person doing it did not have an option of other colours. To each his own of course.

_Mick_

Guitar Tech
Reaction score
Oh man, infinitely envious right now.
That is so sick, congrats on the score!

I need to find me one of those to go with my UV7PWH

Viginez

Reaction score
They are different and a nice addition if your collection is a bit predictable in colour schemes. I just feel that they look like a pickup swap happened and the person doing it did not have an option of other colours. To each his own of course.
the pickups are green to match the original green dots, green knobs, green switch and green logo. everything is originally green. even the pickguard layer is green.
it's designed like that on purpose.