Overdue NPD: Source Audio EQ-2

• Thread starter youngthrasher9
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Obligatory pic: (I will explain why both pedals are there in a moment)

EDDB9B04-BEFF-42D5-90D0-737B3757ECD7.jpeg

First of all: this thing is a feature loaded beast. I’ve barely scratched the surface.

The chromatic tuner function works great, the ability to flip through presets is quite nice.

The PC/App editor works wonderfully, and can be connected while playing for real time adjustments which is nice. The ability to adjust the Q of each band is awesome.

I haven’t successfully tried using the noise gate for the full death metal “chomp” effect yet with a 4cm, as my effects loop needs work.

The routing options in the editor can be intimidating to figure out at first, but I haven’t had too much of a problem.

I find the pedal to be very natural sounding for the most part. The build quality is quite good.

Making new presets or adjusting them with the front of the pedal is probably my only real knock on the unit, it just isn’t that intuitive. Another minor gripe would be that it doesn’t ship with an iPhone lightning connector for the app editor.

So far my favorite setting has been using it as a pre-filter boost in front of my triple rectifier, with a TS behind it to act as an “extra gain stage” in a way. It got my triple rectifier pretty close to late cannibal corpse tones. I will try to attach a phone clip later. I hope this helps anyone on the fence.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Alright guys, after some experimentation, I’ve come to be disappointed with the EQ-2’s capabilities as a boost. I finally got to set it up with my high output pickup guitar, and the output of the D-Activator overloads the circuit unless the gain is set to -10db. After some googling I ran into a thread on a different forum where the OP was having the same problem and a SA staffer said “this isn’t a design flaw- that is not it’s designed purpose”.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Alright guys, after some experimentation, I’ve come to be disappointed with the EQ-2’s capabilities as a boost. I finally got to set it up with my high output pickup guitar, and the output of the D-Activator overloads the circuit unless the gain is set to -10db. After some googling I ran into a thread on a different forum where the OP was having the same problem and a SA staffer said “this isn’t a design flaw- that is not it’s designed purpose”.

Well that's disappointing. Kinda concerns me because I was looking at a Source Audio chorus and I'm worried it'll have the same input issues.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Well that's disappointing. Kinda concerns me because I was looking at a Source Audio chorus and I'm worried it'll have the same input issues.
It would not shock me, but I’d shoot them an email regardless. I’m not super stoked on having to buy a line driver or some such just to use this pedal as I’ve found it excel with the first guitar.

mongey

Reaction score
We’ll to be fair not every eq is designed to be a boost. Output level is usually Just used as make up gain, to the majority of eq users.
It is annoying when hot pickups overload pedals , especially expensive quality ones. You expect a little more head room.
It’s one reason I moved away from the really hot ones. I felt I was always fighting that overload.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
That’s incredibly disappointing to read about the pedal.

I was looking at an EQ-2 to run before everything in my chain kind of as an external tone control with presets and something that would shape the DI track itself. I actually plan to use the pedal to cut things, but that seems far too easy to overload.

I had some very high hopes for this pedal. Guess the 1128 is still the king.

Reaction score
I've been delaying getting this pedal since it came out, mostly due to the gripes you mentioned @youngthrasher9. It kind of scares me depending on external devices to be able to dive deep into its functions.

The signal routing posibilities, the MIDI control assigns (can be used as a wah pedal with an external expression pedal) and all that jazz make it very, very desirable... to me that is...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've been delaying getting this pedal since it came out, mostly due to the gripes you mentioned @youngthrasher9. It kind of scares me depending on external devices to be able to dive deep into its functions.

The signal routing posibilities, the MIDI control assigns (can be used as a wah pedal with an external expression pedal) and all that jazz make it very, very desirable... to me that is...

Luckily Boss has the EQ200.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/eq-200/

Can use MIDI via an adapter and has an expression pedal input so you can probably do the wah thing too.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
To me, source audio seems like a pretty cutting edge progressive company. I wouldn’t be shocked to found out in the future that they work out the kinks for their EQ and release an updated version.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Also, the reason I’ll be keeping it is, it works really fucking well. It is flawed as fuck for my purposes, but I boost frequencies common in 3 of my favorite types of boost (ok one that I would USE as a boost) circuits and cut bass. (TS, HM-2, and TCIP) and using an external device to do the actual boosting part, it is one of the nastiest, grindiest most satisfying rectifier tones I’ve heard.

Reaction score
Luckily Boss has the EQ200.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/eq-200/

Can use MIDI via an adapter and has an expression pedal input so you can probably do the wah thing too.

I don't remember being advertised that it could do the wah thing. I believe the expression pedal is to control overall volume and the MIDI only to change patches, but I could be wrong, obviously... owners manual here I go... soon enough...