Ozzy's Greatest Guitar Player (Outside of Sabbath)

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Randy is probably my #1.

Jake was also incredible, and Zakk (although the stuff he did with Zakk got increasingly generic, ended up just sounding like Black Label Society - No More Tears was his best Zakk-era album)... obviously Gus is a brilliant guitarist and probably a better fit than Zakk was towards the end of his tenure, but I prefer him with Firewind personally.

No-one has mentioned Brad Gillis at all, which is a shame. I love his playing but I prefer him in his own band.

See 2:50 for details. He's a fucking brilliant guitarist, so underrated.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Brad is a killer guitarist. He stepped into that post-Randy gig quickly and he played his ass off. I think he gets overlooked because Night Ranger is treated like pop metal's step-child. Personally, I think Night Ranger is a killer band and the musicianship goes without saying.

MikeyLHolm

Lightning Mike
Reaction score
J

A

K

E

The Man makes the guitar sing metal. Love the fierce picking and pretty much everything in Jake's playing those days. Sure Randy had his moments at Mr. Crowley and bunch of other great compositions such as Diary of Madman or Revelation. But for me usually there wasn't enough Balls in Randy's playing or presence plus the lead guitar tone was terrible.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I gotta go with Randy personally. Him and Van Halen reason I wanted to play guitar in the first place.

Toe to Toe as a guitarist its so fcuking close to call between Randy & Jake E Lee for me as I do love Jake as a player and the little post Ozzy stuff Jake did is fantastic, specially Retraced and Badlands of course but I go with Randy as best as his song writing is so much stronger with Ozzy that Jake's was. Both Blizzard and Diary are near perfect albums for me, not a single sh1t song on them. Bark & Ultimate Sin, I just not in to as much song wise, even though Jakes guitar on those records is incredible....

Much as Zakk is now a p1ss poor parody of himself, No More Tears and No Rest for the Wicked are awesome albums with ball busting guitars and again song writing is excellent, Zakk back in the day was a fantastic song writer specially for a 19 yr old as he was on No Rest....

So tough to call really Ozzy has an ear for awesome guitarists, whether that's luck or divine provenance I dunno but he can pick em!

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
I would have liked to hear a studio album w/ Joe Holmes

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I first heard Gus G with his band firewind. Their debut album was probably my Favorite for a year and is still on my ipod

DslDwg

Reaction score
Randy of course. He and Eddie influenced more young guitarists than anybody since Hendrix and Page.

The guy still ends up on the covers of major guitar publications and he's been dead for 31 years. All from only two major releases.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Jerry Cantrell played with Ozzy? He coo'

Ozzy and Jerry did an album together called, Under Cover. Obviously, its cover songs! :lol: They do everything from the Beatles to King Crimson.

Ozzyosbourne_undercover.jpg

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Although he's had a lot of great players, the only songs I listen to more than any others ares the ones Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde wrote, so, them two, Zakk Rhoads.

snowblind56

Reaction score
If I'm going on material that the guitarist wrote while in the Ozzy camp, I will say that I prefer Randy & Jakes stuff, which beats out early Zakk stuff by a slim margin.

If I'm going by which guitarist I prefer, it's Gus G all the way. I've been listening to him for almost 10 years since I randomly bought a Mystic Prophecy cd. His playing on the first 3 Mystic Prophecy cds is nothing short of phenomenal. I like his Firewind stuff, but the singers he has used aren't the greatest. You also can't really judge the newest Ozzy cd because he hasn't released anything good since Ozzmosis.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
It can only be Jake E. Lee for me as just about every note he ever played with Ozzy is burnt into my memory and is now a part of my musical DNA I like Randy too but I really dislike how the media have built this huge mythology around him like they do with so many other dead musicians.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Yeah Jake and Randy stand out the most for me. Randy is the one that got me into playing guitar, and Jake's soloing blows my mind every time I listen to it. Zakk is a phenomenal guitarist, but after the No More Tears album, I really did kinda lose interest. His playing on No Rest For the Wicked album was top fucking notch. The solo to the song Miracle Man comes to mind. :hbang:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Just Zakk's guitars on "Perry Mason" alone make the whole album great.

Also, "My Little Man" is the only thing that ever came of the Vai sessions. Vai has all the music still in the vault. Too bad Sony said "No" to the idea. (Not because the music, they just thought Vai was too big of a name at the time).

Vai said he was tuning to C for the sessions, so it would have been some killer shit.