P-Rails in Baritone - What way should Rail be?

soundbase

Reaction score
I'm putting set of SD P-Rails in a 27.7 Baritone 6 string build. Its Probably gonna be in Drop F and was wondering what way I should have the rails? I've got a DiMarzio D Sonic in another 27.7 baritone and I remember reading up here its better having the rail towards the bridge forblower tunings.

Is it the same with the P-Rails? On the bridge should I have the Rail facing towards the bridge?

And which way should the neck P-Rail rail facing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soundbase

Reaction score
I have the p90 side closer to the brdige on my Mushok. I put the rail sides towards the middle.
Cool and what tuning do you hVe on the Mushok? I got a D Sonic in my Mushok with the rail towards the bridge and it sounds awesome from A to F.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Cool and what tuning do you hVe on the Mushok? I got a D Sonic in my Mushok with the rail towards the bridge and it sounds awesome from A to F.
I usually tune BEADF#B but I do drop to FEADF#B for some songs. The p-rails easily handle lower tunings ime, but I tend to use the p90 setting more than the humbucker setting for the bridge.

Reaction score
I have the p90 side closer to the brdige on my Mushok. I put the rail sides towards the middle.

THIS. The P-Rails set was designed so the rail coils are Inner Coils and the P90s the Outer Coils. Use the Seymour Duncan logo facing the bridge, but one can always rotate 180º the pickups and swap their places in the guitar. The bridge version comes in 50mm or 52mm (trembucker) for string spacing (low to high E). There is also a HOT P-RAIL humbucker for the bridge position, which has the same coil layout, but is way louder and everything else.

If the guitar has pickup rings, consider the Tripleshots also from Seymour Duncan. With these you'll be able to split to either coil, have them in series or parallel, and install these with the switches at the treble strings side (trust me on this one). If on the other hand, the guitar has a pickguard, consider adding 4 ON/ON miniswitches (either toggle or slide, 2 per humbucker) in order to achieve the same functionality as the with the Tripleshots. These switches are SPDT, meaning 3 ins only is enough. DPDTs also work, but one will only use one side of the switch. The wiring schematic is loose on the net, just google for it and it's there.

Since you're at it, consider also installing a Freeway switch: the 3X3-05 if you prefer the toggle type, or the 3B3-01 if you prefer the blade type, both will deliver 6 positions. These switches allow you to, besides each individual pickup, mix them in parallel (super common) or series (unusual), either in phase (obviously is what everyone is after) or out of phase (where strange things happen). The Tripleshots AND these Freeway switches combination will deliver you a 72 different tone monster. Some are eventually similar, others are radically different.

Let me tell you that the Outer coils in either series or parallel, but out of phase is a gateway to other realms, specially when in use with modulation, filters and space/time FXs at extreme settings... it's a trip not to forget and without the need of chemical boosts...