Pacific Rim 2 confirmed, 2017 release date

• Thread starter MFB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
VERY EXCITE.

Bunch of Pacific Rim gifs and that theme tune for enthusiasm's sake.

30sir1v.gif

24b0wlg.gif

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AxeHappy

Reaction score
WHY DIDN'T THEY ALWAYS USE THE SWORDS? WHY DID THEY WAIT UNTIL MOST EVERYONE WAS ALREADY DEAD?

stuglue

Reaction score
Never seen the first one, the trailers certainly looked like the CGI was fantastic. Worth getting on DVD?

Skrapmetal

Reaction score
Never seen the first one, the trailers certainly looked like the CGI was fantastic. Worth getting on DVD?

I made fun of people I knew that wanted to see the first one. It looked terrible to me in the trailers and sounded corny as hell.

The movie was entertaining. It's still silly, but I enjoyed myself.

It is out on movie channels now, I'm sure you can probably find somewhere to watch it without paying full dvd price.

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
WHY DIDN'T THEY ALWAYS USE THE SWORDS? WHY DID THEY WAIT UNTIL MOST EVERYONE WAS ALREADY DEAD?

The Kaiju blood was toxic/corrosive or something, so I guess that's why it was a last resort since tons of Kaiju blood would end up going everywhere (not that that would matter since usually the cities end up getting destroyed haha).

I'm curious as to what storyline they would use for the sequel since at the end of the first one
they destroyed the rift, so no more Kaiju can come in

broj15

Reaction score
The Kaiju blood was toxic/corrosive or something, so I guess that's why it was a last resort since tons of Kaiju blood would end up going everywhere (not that that would matter since usually the cities end up getting destroyed haha).

I'm curious as to what storyline they would use for the sequel since at the end of the first one

they could easily base it off radiation monsters living off the coast of japan, but by 2017 that might be too real :lol:

:ugh:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

They said it's going to focus on the Drift between pilots more, and what I would love to see - is the early years when the Jaegar program was in it's hey-day with a dozen mechs or so, more than the 5 that were in the original

brynotherhino

Reformed Redneck
Reaction score
Words cannot express how much excite I am for this. More giant robots fighting giant monsters? Yes please.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fixed spoiler tags and cleaned up off-topic crap.

Looking forward to this, but DAMNIT WHERE IS AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS!

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Just watched it again last night.. so psyched for the sequel. I hope they turn down the dumb slightly, because the first one was pretty dumb. Intentionally, most likely, but still... they could take themselves a little more seriously next time around.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Since I'm too lazy to type out everything I feel related to what you just said, I feel like this article sums it up just as nicely

“Unlike Godzilla, Pacific Rim doesn’t try to be serious even when it’s being serious. Characters have names like Stacker Pentecost and Hercules Hansen. The film requires you to believe that the best way to battle a giant monster is to build an even larger robot to fight that monster.
Much of the Act 2 drama derives from inter-pilot tension airlifted from the Val Kilmer scenes in Top Gun. It’s the polar opposite of the Godzilla school of drama, where everyone is a total professional who has absolutely no personal goal besides Saving The World. In Pacific Rim, Idris Elba is Rinko Kikuchi’s Obi-Wan Kenobi, and two of the last Giant Robot-pilots in the world frequently get into sneering fights over who’s the bigger badass, and Charlie Day is a scientist.

So, for all these reasons, Pacific Rim is a movie that I’ve heard perfectly smart people describe as “stupid” or “silly.” The problem with this line of thinking is that, really, that every blockbuster is pretty “silly,” in the context of Things Adults Should Care About. Godzilla is not less stupid than Pacific Rim just because people frown more. […]

The difference, I think, is that Pacific Rim glories in its own silliness. There’s a flashback scene where Idris Elba rescues a little girl, and when he emerges from his giant robot, the sun shines upon him like he’s the catharsis in a biblical epic. There’s a moment when one giant robot swings an oil tanker like a sword. Then it grows a sword out of its wrist. Then it falls from space to earth.

There are real complaints to make about Pacific Rim, I guess, all of them fair and most of them pedantic. I know a lot of people who have issues with the story. (“Why didn’t they use the wrist-sword earlier?” is a popular one.) Conversely, I don’t really know anyone who minds the story in Godzilla, possibly because everything stupid that happens is prefaced by Frowning Watanabe saying “This is why the stupid thing that’s about to happen makes sense.” Godzilla wants so badly to make sense. Pacific Rim wants so badly for Ron Perlman to wear golden shoes.”