PAF style 7 string set.

• Thread starter bjgrifter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bjgrifter

Djentleman, Esq.
Reaction score
I like my Agile 7, but I don't like the pickups. I like the GFS Crunchy PAT pickups on my guitars, but they don't do 7-string options.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Dimarzio PAFs are good pickups. I've had Bare Knuckle Mules in an 8-string, and they were different (brighter, more jangly, less bass) but also did that PAF vibe. The Duncan '59 is great but can be too bassy with the low B.

Reaction score
... our you could go custom with a local shop. You'll be surprised at the values for custom wound pickups without gaudy specs or finishes...

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
Dimarzio PAFs are good pickups. I've had Bare Knuckle Mules in an 8-string, and they were different (brighter, more jangly, less bass) but also did that PAF vibe. The Duncan '59 is great but can be too bassy with the low B.
I agree with you about the 59, for my tastes it didn't really work well with the low B. The low end was too loose and overbearing for my needs. While not 100% true PAF I wound up recently trying a Duncan Custom and a Duncan Jazz in my Legacy 727 and I was really surprised. The Custom was much tighter on the low end and walked a good middle ground between being too hot & high-output and being too weak and loose. I thought I was going to go with the 59n but wound up trying the Jazz and it added a brightness that the Agile really responds well to, so I'm glad I went that route. I haven't tried the Dimarzio PAF-7s so I don't know how they compare, I've heard good things but I'm pretty happy with the Custom/Jazz set so far.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really dig the Dimarzio PAF7. I have one in a one humbucker 7 wired to a 1k volume and I really like it. Tons of clarity and I like the output.

Does your Agile have direct mount pickups with EMG type shells or no?