Pain of Salvation about to bring back the metal?

• Thread starter DLG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eloann

Reaction score
Been following these guys forever and I'm looking forward to this new album. They never fail to reinvent themselves which can be tough on the fans but I've actually found myself really appreciating songs I didn't love when they first came out lately.

Also Gustaf is my favorite bass player of theirs ever by a margin and Ragnar is (slowly) growing on me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I'm so looking forward to this release! I heard from sources its supposed to be kick ass (they have preview access).

And I agree 12:5 is one hell of an album. I personally enjoy listening to BE, 12:5 and Elements from "cover to cover". It's just mesmerizing to me and their playing and arrangements are just outstanding.

rapterr15

Reaction score
I hear the next single should be out before the end of the month. Looking forward to it!

wankerness

Reaction score
12:5 is almost as good of a listen as their prior 4 albums. I love it. It really is polished enough that it could be a studio album, apart from some dodgy percussion sound here and there. And that major version of Ashes, I hate that :lol: I had a few live bootlegs from earlier which had the same thing, and it always annoyed me. A lot of the versions of songs are completely reworked and are extremely intricate. I particularly like what they did with Undertow and Song for the Innocent (even though that song has always been way too short).

I am not familiar with Ending Themes. Maybe I should order it. Their old line-up was insane live. The new live version of Remedy Lane is great in most departments, but comparing the insane precision and speed on some old live recordings of Fandango compared to the new guy barely pulling it off on the new recording makes me sad! The keyboard playing is similar, it sounds like the guy is just barely holding it together on some things (ex, again on Fandango, especially the outro).

eloann

Reaction score
comparing the insane precision and speed on some old live recordings of Fandango compared to the new guy barely pulling it off on the new recording makes me sad! The keyboard playing is similar, it sounds like the guy is just barely holding it together on some things (ex, again on Fandango, especially the outro).

They obviously replaced old members with musicians that have a very different approach (especially Leo and Gustaf being way less "clinical"). Which is a double edged sword - great way to keep evolving but they may not be that comfortable with some of the old stuff.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Ending Themes. Maybe I should order it. Their old line-up was insane live. The new live version of Remedy Lane is great in most departments, but comparing the insane precision and speed on some old live recordings of Fandango compared to the new guy barely pulling it off on the new recording makes me sad! The keyboard playing is similar, it sounds like the guy is just barely holding it together on some things (ex, again on Fandango, especially the outro).

Ending Themes is really great. The concert itself is on YouTube so you can get a decent preview of how everything sounds. Unfortunately, the album is out of print methinks.

Kanye

Reaction score
Im not convinced.

They sound closer to The Cure than anything 'metallic'

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Who cares if it's "metal" as long as it's good though?

Some of us weren't too big on the Road Salts. So when someone says they're going back to Metal it gives us hope. I don't know if this upcoming album is going to be good but their best material by far was when they were making Metal-type music.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. Not that the Road Salts were bad (Healing Now is easily one of my favorite songs by them), but they pale in comparison to when PoS was doing Metal. I know personally, Remedy Lane is a desert island record, and everyone loves Perfect Element I.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
the first 3 are absolute classic for me. I still like RL a lot, but I don't think it compares to the first three.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score

this is pretty ok, but not really good. forced heaviness/tough guy riffs, but where are the keyboards?

eloann

Reaction score
this is pretty ok, but not really good. forced heaviness/tough guy riffs, but where are the keyboards?

Yeah, Karlsson is seen on guitar in this one - quite the surprise.
Not 100% convinced overall but I dig the verse.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Not perfect, but I enjoyed it way more than anything on the Road Salt albums. :lol:

Tell me about this Ragnar fellow though. For better or for worse, PoS was always more or less the Daniel Gildenlow show, even when they were a cohesive band. It's weird all of a sudden seeing this new guy getting so much attention compared to, well, practically ANY of the former members of PoS.

wankerness

Reaction score
"the uploader has not made this video available in your country"

RACISTS

RE: "The Daniel Gildenlow show," the old drummer and bassist added a TON of personality. That drummer was one of the loosest-sounding guys out there and would add tons of insanely technical embellishments to the songs while sounding totally casual (ex, the intro to Rope Ends, or Idioglossia). Kristoffer Gildenlow also added a ton of fills and weird tones and interesting counter-bass parts to the songs (ex the opening of Waking Every God or the bridge to In the Flesh) that I just haven't heard on anything since he left.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
also, pretty much everyone in the old band could sing their asses off. here it just seems like ragnar can.

wankerness

Reaction score
also, pretty much everyone in the old band could sing their asses off. here it just seems like ragnar can.

Well, credit where credit's due - I don't know who's singing what, but whoever sings on Chain Sling on the new live album sounds a lot better than whoever sang it on 12:5!

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
"the uploader has not made this video available in your country"

RACISTS

It's working now at least in the US.

Pretty good song. I like the heaviness contrasted with the soft parts. Hopefully the album will be a good mix of heavier songs and good slow songs too.

Edit: And keyboards.