Panning question

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm going to be recording a friend's acoustic stuff this evening, and am planning to double track it.

Everyone mentions that panning is a good way to get the tone bigger, but I have a question.

My inputs are:

L Audiophile In
R Audiophile In
Stereo Audiophile in

When I record a single acoustic, I usualy run Left on track 1, Right on track 2, and don't pan them. When I doubletrack his stuff today, should I record one track, stereo, panned left, and the second track stereo, panned right, then pan them center when I mix down?

Or 4 tracks:

Guitar 1 -

Audiophile L - Track 1
Audiophile R - Track 2

Guitar 2

Audiophile L - Track 3
Audiophile R - Track 4

What's the recommended way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J

Josh

I do two mono tracks, and pan them apart....which gives it a nice stereo sound. :agreed: Whatever you gotta do to get two pannable mono tracks...do it! :wavey: :lol:

Digital Black

Reaction score
I rarely record in Stereo because that is what I'm used to.. Now I have the ability but...

I usually turn knobs till is sounds right. I try to only have drums focused in the center, everything else gets moved even if ever so slightly..