Papa Roach goes... Djent?

• Thread starter Forrest_H
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been posted, but I saw this on MS this morning...

Not sure how I feel about this, and it's also MetalSucks claiming this is deh Dj0ntz, not yours truly

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
Well, I'm not gonna disagree on the similarities between numetal and djent, but this definitely just sounds like early 2000s numetal with a more modern polish to me.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I know I'm not the worlds biggest djent expert, but it sounds more like linkin park than djent to me.

What I don't like is that it's got that cut out thing and sounds like everything was cut and paste. It's kinda like autotune, never really dug it.

But overall it's fine. Sure as hell beats kant'ya worst.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Well, I'm not gonna disagree on the similarities between numetal and djent, but this definitely just sounds like early 2000s numetal with a more modern polish to me.

I know I'm not the worlds biggest djent expert, but it sounds more like linkin park than djent to me.

What I don't like is that it's got that cut out thing and sounds like everything was cut and paste. It's kinda like autotune, never really dug it.

But overall it's fine. Sure as hell beats kant'ya worst.

I should have clarified, MS is calling it djent, I'm not naming it as such :lol: (Whoops)

This seems to be the general consensus though, just, "Not bad."

Promit

Reaction score
It's pretty much in line with what other bands have nowadays which grew out of last decade's nu-metal movement. "Sounds like Linkin Park" isn't quite fair, but that is the correct heritage.

It doesn't feel like djent to me, unless half of mainstream metal nowadays is djent. A lot of those influences have spilled over, true, but that's not quite the same.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
If David Draiman was screaming over this it would sound like Disturbed. Nothing new here and they're definitely not going djent.

Sounds like a lot of early 2000's metal with modern production.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Can someone edit my thread title to be "Papa Roach goes dj0nt according to metalsucks.net and not me, Forrest, the OP"? :lol:

stevexc

Reaction score
I should have clarified, MS is calling it djent, I'm not naming it as such :lol: (Whoops)

This seems to be the general consensus though, just, "Not bad."

Should probably toss that in the original post :p

Not surprised MS would think it's "djent", it's hard to really listen to a song when your head's surrounded by your own colon ;)

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score

Exactly. I dig the new tunes I've heard from them so far. I can't say I didn't notice some influence from djent, but to me it sounds like a nu metal band trying to reenter the scene with a few new stylistic influences. :shrug:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The production makes it sound very Djenty but its your typical nu-metal bouncy riff just tuned a little lower.

2:26 does sound like they jumped on the bandwagon though. Especially the outro with the edits.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
This song has the whole staccato intro with some tapping on top djent thing a lot more than the other one.

Latest posts