Parametric EQ issues

• Thread starter DanRTN
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DanRTN

Reaction score
Afternoon All,

I have just bought an Artec SE-PEQ which is a parametric EQ pedal. I got it to boost the 1.4kHz frequency but when I looked at the pedal it is laid out in knob form which is fine, but doesn't have any labeling on it to tell you what frequency your boosting. I know the frequencies covered are 20hz-20kHz. So where in this band would the 1.4kHz be? Any ideas would be very helpful.

Dan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Unfortunately you'll have to use your ears.

That general area of mids has the characteristic of sounding "buzzy" when boosted more than it needs to.

If you use recording software (for example a DAW like REAPER) and you have a solo guitar track (recorded by you or if you found one online), use an EQ plugin (if you use REAPER you can use ReaEQ for example) and boost that frequency with various Q and gain parameters, so that you may get an initial idea of what you are searching for in your pedal.

If you have trouble doing that, better get a graphic EQ pedal, with set frequencies. Most of them include the 1.4 kHz or 1.6 kHz frequency.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It's really a better idea to tweak that sort of thing with your ears rather than your eyes. Maybe 1450hz would sound better boosted, or 1600hz. Boost it up and sweep the frequency knob until it sounds good.

20hz to 20khz is a hell of a range for a single knob so the likelihood of getting bang-on 1400hz is low anyway.

If you're just looking for somewhere to start, my guess would be at around 2/3rds. Though it really depends on the taper of the pot used.

Shask

Reaction score
Interesting that I have never heard of this pedal!

I agree with above. You will have to dial it in with your ears. I would assume it would be around 9-10 o'clock on the dial, but that is just a rough guess based on the % of how much 1400hz is of 20000hz.

mongey

Reaction score
If you really wanted to know that specific frequency on the dial you could run it into a daw with a frequency analiser. Make the width narrow and boost the gain and you'll see the peak move around.

it is a little surprising they don't label the knob with the frequency . yeah parametric eqs are all about using your ears but they usually do don't they ? I only have experience with the empress in a parametric pedal and it does

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
empress para EQ would be more up your alley for boosting and cutting certain freqs

but like others have said, go with what your ears hear not what your eyes see