Paul Waggoner Signature!

neurosis

Reaction score
Ok. By now a lot of you have probably seen this surface at NAMM. I don´t know if there is a specific thread were this is being commented but I´d like to use the news as a springboard to discuss a few things.

The S-Series! He went back from playing PRS Customs to this! Now, I had a nice S520 a long time ago and it was my first expensive guitar.

This model though, look and feature-wise is just the ideal workhorse. Satin, ash well balanced pickups, the classic neck. It´s just the ideal thing spec wise. I mean, come on they even made it a little thicker so it does´t slide off your lap.

Does anybody know if it´s made in japan and what retail will be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfu0e8CuO38

Also, I am seeing a fe of these old classic models come back with a force and I was wondering if it´s just the endorsements hat have this effect on us as consumers or if the guitars are really just tried and true no extra bling like on a PRS instruments that just stand the test of time.

I am not the biggest BTAM fan even though I listen to them frequently. But this guitar immediately had a must have effect on me.

I hope it does´t get the ridiculous price point a few of the recent signatures have been getting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
From NAMM: MSRP is $3,599 so probably about $3000 street price. Has to be Japanese made at that price point
full

Doulton

Reaction score
An ash saber would be cool but I don't see much else in the way of features, at least for me.

neurosis

Reaction score
I think it's gorgeous but as pointed out here my fear becomes a reality. I understand signatures should be a little more expensive so the artist gets his cut. But That price bracket seems unreasonable to me. It is a prestige. A great guitar but i dont see the price point considering their overall catalogue. It's such a big jump.

Oh well... One can dream.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Id rather see something the guy is actually going to play himself than a stock model with a different paint job.

andyjanson

Reaction score
Id rather see something the guy is actually going to play himself than a stock model with a different paint job.

Paul's been playing this thing for some time now - check out the parallax live DVD. Overall (and as an enormous btbam fan)....eh. Can't see a great deal to justify the price and I can't shake the feeling that it looks like something that just washed up on the beach.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score

If i remember correctly Rich@Ibanez rules said that was literally his LACS hanging up there. He plays it.

At $3k it's probably Sugi built like the M8M

I doubt this, the M8M was $8000ish. I think its going to just be a regular japanese signature made in fujigen. The JEM is $3000 new now. The PWM100's thicker ash body and mojotone pickups are probably what is driving up the price.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is not going be $3k, look at similar sig models with similar MSRPs. This is going to hit between $2500 and $2700. So inline with MIJ JEMs and EGENs.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Paul's been playing this thing for some time now - check out the parallax live DVD. Overall (and as an enormous btbam fan)....eh. Can't see a great deal to justify the price and I can't shake the feeling that it looks like something that just washed up on the beach.

That was the response to the people wanting more features. Not a complaint. I like the simplicity here.

neurosis

Reaction score
I love this. How much do you guys think making a similar project guitar could cost me? Or maybe ordering a Carvin with these specs if possible?

I don´t think I´ll spend so much Cash on a signature model, even though I love its looks.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
It could've been a perfect Saber but it's ruined by :

-thicker body than regular S series
-pickup rings...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty underwhelmed with it and the price is steep. I wounder what makes it more expenseive than, say the JBM100.

The JBM is just an RGA derivative, where this required them to redesign and modify the Saber shape for increased thickness while still having a curve to both front and back, unlike the flat backed SA. Also, the natural finish guitars usually mean that they have to source prettier wood than solid finished models. Supposedly these are going to be limited edition as well and that can also bump the price a tad.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Alright, finally gonna ask it: Why does ibanez keep doing that plastic thingy around the pickup selector, even on this guitar, which is thicker than a regular S?