Paul Waggoner Signature!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, finally gonna ask it: Why does ibanez keep doing that plastic thingy around the pickup selector, even on this guitar, which is thicker than a regular S?

It's thicker than a regular Saber, but I'm guessing that the location of the switch is still too thin for thier standard blade switch. I can see that being the only reason, unless Paul wanted it that way which is a possibility too I guess.

They didn't need it when they used a 3-way toggle on other Sabers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
It's thicker than a regular Saber, but I'm guessing that the location of the switch is still too thin for thier standard blade switch. I can see that being the only reason, unless Paul wanted it that way which is a possibility too I guess.

They didn't need it when they used a 3-way toggle on other Sabers.

Thats definitely the reason. I wanted to have the 5-way switch on my S7320 changed out to a fender-style 3 way, but the combination of the guitar being so thin and the wood at the switch location being too thin to be stable stopped the tech from being able to put it in. The plastic thing is there to add some density to the switch area.

neurosis

Reaction score
Thats definitely the reason. I wanted to have the 5-way switch on my S7320 changed out to a fender-style 3 way, but the combination of the guitar being so thin and the wood at the switch location being too thin to be stable stopped the tech from being able to put it in. The plastic thing is there to add some density to the switch area.

I never thought of this but it makes perfect sense.

neurosis

Reaction score
The JBM is just an RGA derivative, where this required them to redesign and modify the Saber shape for increased thickness while still having a curve to both front and back, unlike the flat backed SA. Also, the natural finish guitars usually mean that they have to source prettier wood than solid finished models. Supposedly these are going to be limited edition as well and that can also bump the price a tad.

I wonder if making the Saber thicker really bumps up the cost so much. I mean, aren't they cut by the same machines? If so, does recalibrating really affect the price so much? After all the increase in thickness isn't that noticeable either, right?

Now that you mention them being limited my guess is they'll just be more expensive to make then exclusive. I wonder if that is the case and if they know it will fly. I still have a hard time understanding how the M8Ms sell at that price. It must be working, cause every other signature is more expensive than before.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if making the Saber thicker really bumps up the cost so much. I mean, aren't they cut by the same machines? If so, does recalibrating really affect the price so much? After all the increase in thickness isn't that noticeable either, right?

Now that you mention them being limited my guess is they'll just be more expensive to make then exclusive. I wonder if that is the case and if they know it will fly. I still have a hard time understanding how the M8Ms sell at that price. It must be working, cause every other signature is more expensive than before.

Any changes to the production process, no matter how small, are going to cause the price to increase. It's not as simple as pressing a button.

Ibanez has to R&D the changes, have someone program the changes, then Fujigen has to test the changes, that doesn't always work and things need to be tweaked. That's not free.

neurosis

Reaction score
Any changes to the production process, no matter how small, are going to cause the price to increase. It's not as simple as pressing a button.

Ibanez has to R&D the changes, have someone program the changes, then Fujigen has to test the changes, that doesn't always work and things need to be tweaked. That's not free.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought for this they'd cnc a few rough sample bodies and test before going big.

Max, do you know where I could look this kind of stuff up? I mean the behind the scenes stuff that goes on to build an Ibanez? I've seen their promo videos where they interview designers and engineers but it would be great to see photography or video of the production steps.

Thanks!

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the fretboard material is?
Not sure it's Ebony, seems like it's standard Ibanez Rosewood.

Anyway this is a sig that clicks me on every right spot.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought for this they'd cnc a few rough sample bodies and test before going big.

Max, do you know where I could look this kind of stuff up? I mean the behind the scenes stuff that goes on to build an Ibanez? I've seen their promo videos where they interview designers and engineers but it would be great to see photography or video of the production steps.

Thanks!

Fujigen released some cool videos awhile back, not sure if they're still up.

Cort has made factory vids too.