Peavey 6505 20w amp?! Yup...

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

0rimus

Reaction score
So after reading the product description at Sweetwater a dozen or so times;

"Footswitchable channels, crunch, effects loop, and reverb"

Does that mean a 4 button footswitch? Being able to turn on/off the crunch, reverb, and effects loop could almost make this a 3 channel amp

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
So after reading the product description at Sweetwater a dozen or so times;

"Footswitchable channels, crunch, effects loop, and reverb"

Does that mean a 4 button footswitch? Being able to turn on/off the crunch, reverb, and effects loop could almost make this a 3 channel amp

That would seem like it is. This is straight from Peavey.

"Footswitchable crunch on Rhythm channel, footswitchable reverb, footswitchable buffered effects loop"

Peavey.com: News - Peavey Electronics® Introduces 6505® MH Mini Head Guitar Amplifier

edsped

Reaction score
There's a possibility that it might not come with a footswitch at all. There are two TRS jacks on the back: one for rhythm/lead and crunch on/off, and one for reverb on/off and fx on/off.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score

edsped

Reaction score
It has 4 footswitchable functions, but there's no text anywhere yet that suggests a footswitch is actually included.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
I was really hoping that this year I wouldn't GAS for anything after NAMM this year.

This. Just. Broke. Me.

Id love to team this up with a Mark V 25W, its pretty much all the tones I've ever needed and listened to and been influenced by. However the Recto Verb 25W would be in there as well, but its either a Mark or Recto 25W for me. This would be a great little head for picking up with a small jams/gigs with one of those new Pedaltrain Metro 16 pedalboards laden with the Crybaby Mini, Ibanez TS9 mini and a couple of the TC Electronics Micro pedals in there for delay, chorus and tuner, throw in a mini phaser and one of those mini Mooer Volume pedals and its pretty much everything you would need with a 1X12. An ideal rig for someone who is away round to a mates house for a jam or for a small club/club gig. No bull, just good tones in a small and rugged (looking) package.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Looks like there's finally some competition for the 5153 mini coming from Peavey :agreed: looks sweet! Though I wonder why they went with el84's instead of 6v6's, which would sound closer to the regular 6505 heads.

6V6s get real wooly with higain. Well, they are real crazy thick and wooly to begin with, but that trait gets amplified massively when you add in gain.

It would make for a killer sound at low-low volumes, but it turns into a mess quickly.

The simple reason though is that both this and the Classic 20 are built on the VK2MH platform so really they are all the same chassis to streamline production, just with different circuit boards.

Color me psyched. Seriously thinking about picking up both this and the Classic 20 and just using an AB box or effects switcher. Killer cleans, Blues, Drive, Rock Crunch and Ultra Lead with the possibility of a stereo apartment or gig-ready rig. Right up my alley:hbang:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
There's a possibility that it might not come with a footswitch at all. There are two TRS jacks on the back: one for rhythm/lead and crunch on/off, and one for reverb on/off and fx on/off.

IMO, the biggest problem with Peavey footswitches in general (6505+,JSX, XXX, etc.) is that they are 1.) really ....ing big and 2.) use DIN connectors when they could just as easily use regular TS/TRS 1/4" relay switching.

Since the 6505MH has TRS switching inputs on the back, it'd be easy to build your own footswitch or order a "universal" one that would be WAY smaller than whatever Peavey would/may include, which would help greatly with the whole "mini amp and pedals" thing.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Eh, the footswitch for my III is pretty big, but I don't really mind it. I'd prefer anything I'm stepping on with multiple buttons to have the switches as far away from each other as possible.

Hawkevil

Toast Wiper
Reaction score
New video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_uk1nOPnFs

It goes into a bit more detail about the outputs on the back. The speaker defeat switch directs the signal to its own internal dummy load so no need for a speaker cab. Then they go and screw it up by not having any kind of output that doesn't have a simulated cab. From the looks of it anyway. XLR and USB out both say "microphone simulated". Unless it comes with some kind of driver for USB that allows you to switch that off. I would still rather just have a line out though. It would be the perfect practice amp then when you want to silently practice or record.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
So why wouldn't you just use the effects loop send? The only thing after that is the power section which would be replaced by any IR you use anyway

Senior

Reaction score
Well it has an FX loop, so there you go. FX send = Line out. (for all practical purposes)

edit: beat by a minute lolol

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I'm interested to see if they'll react to the MSDI backlash later on and release some firmware for the USB that can disable cab sims. There's pretty much no way that cab sim is going to sound useable in a recording environment. Live is a maybe, but definitely not studio.

devastone

Reaction score
According to the video I saw earlier Line Out is not the same as the fx loop send. The amp (along with their other 20W minis) have a built in load for the power amp, so the Line out and the signal for the USB out are tapped after the output tubes.

They also said in the video just posted, that the simulated out simulates a mic'd cabinet, so labeling it as "microphone" simulated is only half of the simulation. I'm guessing the simulation is analog circuitry on the signal tapped from the load box for the power amp.

As always I could be wrong, happens all the time.

Der JD

Reaction score
So why wouldn't you just use the effects loop send? The only thing after that is the power section which would be replaced by any IR you use anyway

Not all IRs were created with a tube power amp. Even if you are using an IR that was made with a tube power amp, a different power amp may have been used that injects its own EQ signature into the IR that sounds very different from the 6505.

IRs are linear. They capture reverberation and EQ but do not capture some additional coloration that comes with a power amp such as compression and distortion (if cranked).

I've heard decent results from simply going effects loop send>IR but in my experience it doesn't match the tone and feel you get from tube preamp>tube power amp>loadbox>IR (which could have been achieved had Peavey given users a non-simulated output option).

Of course, another option is to use a VST power amp sim before the IR.

Senior

Reaction score
According to the video I saw earlier Line Out is not the same as the fx loop send. The amp (along with their other 20W minis) have a built in load for the power amp, so the Line out and the signal for the USB out are tapped after the output tubes.

They also said in the video just posted, that the simulated out simulates a mic'd cabinet, so labeling it as "microphone" simulated is only half of the simulation. I'm guessing the simulation is analog circuitry on the signal tapped from the load box for the power amp.

As always I could be wrong, happens all the time.

An FX send is the same thing as a line out on any amp. The specific difference with this amp is that the FX send is the only Line out that doesnt have speaker/mic simulation on it.

In fact, the terms FX send, Line Out, and Preamp Out all refer to basically the same thing. The context in which they are used defines the specific term but doesnt change the essential functionality.

Senior

Reaction score
Not all IRs were created with a tube power amp. Even if you are using an IR that was made with a tube power amp, a different power amp may have been used that injects its own EQ signature into the IR that sounds very different from the 6505.

IRs are linear. They capture reverberation and EQ but do not capture some additional coloration that comes with a power amp such as compression and distortion (if cranked).

I've heard decent results from simply going effects loop send>IR but in my experience it doesn't match the tone and feel you get from tube preamp>tube power amp>loadbox>IR (which could have been achieved had Peavey given users a non-simulated output option).

Of course, another option is to use a VST power amp sim before the IR.

That is true only if the signal that is getting sent out the USB/XLR is after the internal power and load. It is far more likely that it is a simple preamp tap like any other feeding those two outputs, so not putting the speaker/mic sim on it would be the same thing as using the FX loop.

:scratch:

Der JD

Reaction score
That is true only if the signal that is getting sent out the USB/XLR is after the internal power and load. It is far more likely that it is a simple preamp tap like any other feeding those two outputs, so not putting the speaker/mic sim on it would be the same thing as using the FX loop.

My assumption was that the USB/XLR signal is post power amp and load. I do not, however, know that to be true. You could be right. I haven't seen any tech specs yet from this amp detailed enough to tell. But, since it has a speaker defeat switch and a 3-position attenuation switch it just seems massively silly that the signal wouldn't be post-power amp and load.

Sure about one thing, though, if it is a simple preamp tap with a cab/mic sim it's going to sound like ass.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
You seem to be missing how IRs are made. Essentially a cab is miced up and the preamp out is also recorded, then the preamp signal is "subtracted" from the mic signal. All IRs have some sort of power amp in them and you would be hard-pressed to find one not using a tube power amp. What is it that you want to do, take the signal from the power amp output? Then what? You're still missing the speaker's coloration. What a cab sim does is impose an EQ curve on the output signal that mimics the EQ curve of a specific speaker. So in this amp you have the ability to record silently either with the preamp and an IR or the full amp and a cab sim. If you want a better option, put a damn mic on the cab.