Peavey 6505+ issues...any ideas?

JoshAWIP

Reaction score
So i just bought my second 6505+ i had and sold one awhile back and regretted it immediately, but i got this one used and everything is pretty much new. I noticed when i change channels i get this glitch like noise? This is changing the channel from the amp as well so it cant be a wire or footswitch cause i dont have one lol. Also along with the noise the led for whatever channel im switching from will flicker before it switches to the next. For example if im going from my rhythm to my lead the green led will go off go back on and than go to the red lead one. If any of you guys have any ideas it would be greatly appeciated.thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
Maybe needs some contact cleaner on the switcher in the chassis. If that doesnt fix it, I dunno.

Reaction score
Despite how brutal the 6505+ sounds I finally got rid of the pair I had cause they were doing stuff like this and other weirdness and they were both brand new. So yeah, I don't know what to tell you other than maybe get something different. Nevermind the fact that I had really bad luck with their Vypyr amps so I'm pretty disgusted with Peavey amps at this point.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Despite how brutal the 6505+ sounds I finally got rid of the pair I had cause they were doing stuff like this and other weirdness and they were both brand new. So yeah, I don't know what to tell you other than maybe get something different. Nevermind the fact that I had really bad luck with their Vypyr amps so I'm pretty disgusted with Peavey amps at this point.

You cannot blame peavey if you buy the amplifier used because the amplifier may have been damaged previously in some other manner by a previous owner or manner not stated. Sadly it happens; but most likely it is due to the environment of the amplifier being built and not the design itself which has proven to be reliable.

Vyper amplifiers do suck for reliability. I have owned one as well and not even peavey would troubleshoot them - the techs were told to isolate to board level. I will say that they have excellent component quality in them though - but beyond that they were plagued with software problems and/or hardware instability.

To the OP - sounds to me as though you have a bad solder joint on an FET that changes channels. I know in my past i have repaired similar problems with 5150 II's. I am not saying that is the problem, but saying any channel switching issues not related to a connected footswitch lead me to believe bad solder joints based on past experience.

It can happen on anything that is production based. Anytime I repair an amplifier i always look over all solder joints or test for continuity :)

JoshAWIP

Reaction score
You cannot blame peavey if you buy the amplifier used because the amplifier may have been damaged previously in some other manner by a previous owner or manner not stated. Sadly it happens; but most likely it is due to the environment of the amplifier being built and not the design itself which has proven to be reliable.

Vyper amplifiers do suck for reliability. I have owned one as well and not even peavey would troubleshoot them - the techs were told to isolate to board level. I will say that they have excellent component quality in them though - but beyond that they were plagued with software problems and/or hardware instability.

To the OP - sounds to me as though you have a bad solder joint on an FET that changes channels. I know in my past i have repaired similar problems with 5150 II's. I am not saying that is the problem, but saying any channel switching issues not related to a connected footswitch lead me to believe bad solder joints based on past experience.

It can happen on anything that is production based. Anytime I repair an amplifier i always look over all solder joints or test for continuity :)

lets say that is the problem how much do you think the fix would be?