Peavey 6505+ (Recommendations)

Witcheschair

Reaction score
I just got a new 6505+ head, it is my first real tube amp. Anyone know what cab best suits it? I have already have a tone idea but I just want to know what gives the best result in your opinion.
I play that with a Agile Septor with d-marzio pick up.

Any problems other than the noice/buzz i should worry about?:rolleyes:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
This forum likes the Mesa 4x12s, I think the Rectifier oversized model. Orange PPC412s with Vintage 30s are apparently great too.

I've heard absolutely killer results with Vader 4x12s and Marshall 1960A cabinets. The Vader is tight, really raw and aggressive while the 1960A is a little smooth and warm.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Mesa recto cab or Vader cab. Both are oversized cabs bust I used to have standard sized cabs with V30s and it sounded great. Some people dig Avatar cabs with V30s and GT12s in the X config.

mike0

Reaction score
I can't recommend a vht/fryette fatbottom enough, but they may be a bit hard to come by at a good price. mesa 4x12s and orange ppc4x12 are always a safe bet. Though when it comes to mesa cabs, rectifier (oversized) vs stiletto (traditional), i've heard the stiletto cabs are a bit tighter and more focused while the recto cabs sound bigger. I can attest for the recto cabs sounding huge, never actually played a stiletto though.

broj15

Reaction score
Just about any high end 4x12 with vintage 30's (orange or mesa for my money) should do the trick. If you want a tight low end avoid the mesa oversized IMO and open back cabs. For the noise/ buzz just get a good noise gate and run it in the effects loop.

Witcheschair

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

Next question is I am having a hard time balancing a good tone, mainly because I have not developed a good ear for it yet. A lot of tones sound the same to me.
If you turn up the volume on this recording you can hear the actual mix, on low volume it is hard to tell because it sounds mushy.
What do you guys suggest I lean toward on my settings?
Also that is the band I recently joined

Reaction score
The 6/6/6 setting is a good place to start with for 6505's. Remember, in the context of a band mix you want LOADS of mids, little/less bass and a treble to taste pretty much. Also the louder you turn your amp up the more you'll hear the bass and treble frequencies and less the mids, so make sure you adjust for that when you crank dat bitch at practice.

warhead

Reaction score
get a marshall cab..they are quite cheap and great cabs....
but ANY quality cab will do ok.
avoid oversized cabs.....

warhead

Reaction score
Maybe it is just my personal way of getting a tone, but....
In my experience, bassy head + oversized cab(more bassy than a normal sized cab) = too much bass, meaning, not good....

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I have had good luck with my 2x12 Avatar with v30s in it. Also my Basson 4x12 with Eminence Legends slays.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
get a marshall cab..they are quite cheap and great cabs....
but ANY quality cab will do ok.
avoid oversized cabs.....

^ exactly this...

I've posted about this a few times before... I've had it recommended to me several times now to stay away from oversized cabs because they are too boomy / loose for high gain amps like the 5150. I have a 2000 Mesa OS 412 and it sounds like SHIT for technical metal style music. It sounds okay for Alice in Chains / King's X because it is really bassy, loud, and it projects. But if you want to play Born of Osiris or some shit like that it is terrible.

I've been recommended front loaded cabs like the Fryette and Diezel for the 5150/6505 series. I contacted FJA and Voodoo about mods... they asked me about my rig setup and style and the first thing they told me was to dump my Mesa OS 412 because they aren't designed for tight modern metal using high gain amps. Overated was actually the word they used.

I've been using the same tech for my Peavey Wolfgang collection for 10+ years (Steve from Peavey at the Meridien, MS) and he also told me to stay away from oversized cabs for Peavey amps.

I just had a conversation with Nick (Zimbloth) from AxePalace about this and he recommends Engl and Fryette 2x12s, or the front loaded 412s if you really still want the larger 412 cabs.

Anyways... stay away from Line6, Peavey cabs (if they have POS Sheffield speakers), and oversized cabs.

The best speakers recommended by Celestion tech (and I think also the tech from FJA): 2 Celestion Classic Lead x 2 Celestion G12K100. Booming low end, loud as fuck, extremely tight, with smooth articulate leads. I have one each in my 5150 212 combo and it kills! :yesway:

FearComplex

Reaction score
Marshall MF400 4x12" (G12K100) if you can find one, crushing!

+1
Most underrated cab out there.
Also heard a killer 6505+ clip with a 1960A the other day and of course it works great the usual suspects i.e Mesa OS, Engl Pro, Orange etc..

Latest posts