Peavey 6505 vs 6505+, what's the difference?

• Thread starter MTGeezy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTGeezy

Reaction score
Joined a new band recently and we are getting things rolling, so I've decided it's time to get an actual amp.

The band sounds in the same vein of bands liked Knocked Loose, but more on a death metal side.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the 6505 or 6505+ as that seems to be the amp that most of these bands use, besides like a dual rec which I can't afford.

Anyways, what's the big difference between the two? I've heard the cleans on the plus model are a bit better, but I've also heard the plus model isn't as ballsy as the original. I highly doubt I'll ever be writing clean parts, so the clean channel isn't a huge deal to me.

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
6505+ has a higher gain lead channel and a lower gain clean channel for clean (plus a crunch switch to make the clean channel high gain also)

The main reason 6505+ is known for better cleans is that each channel has its own EQ, whereas the 6505 shares one between both channels.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, though personally I'd go with a 6505+ over the 6505. Specifically I'd go for the 112 combo version, which you can usually find on the used market for 3-400 USD. It's very portable on its own and sounds great, and you can always plug it into a recto 412 and blow the roof off.

jerm

Reaction score
6505 is a tad more aggressive compared to the 6505+. If you don't play much clean stuff, the 6505 would be better IMO.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Since cleans aren't a big deal to you, try to stick with the 5150/6505 as they might be a little cheaper. It also might not hurt to look into their cousins: XXX, Ultra Plus, JSX, 3120, etc. Those can be had for even cheaper If you're patient.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
6505 is rawer, more aggressive, has a ton more gain, but is looser and less versatile.
6505+ has less gain, slightly smoother, a tighter sound, and is more versatile with a tweakble 2nd channel. But it doesn't have the aggression of the 6505 and I find has a VERY slight cocked wah sound to it that can make it sound and feel a bit stiff.

jerm

Reaction score
6505 is rawer, more aggressive, has a ton more gain, but is looser and less versatile.
6505+ has less gain, slightly smoother, a tighter sound, and is more versatile with a tweakble 2nd channel. But it doesn't have the aggression of the 6505 and I find has a VERY slight cocked wah sound to it that can make it sound and feel a bit stiff.
All of this! Both great amps nonetheless.

HerbalDude420

Reaction score
None of that they are the exact same amp just the 6505+ has separate EQ and an extra preamp tube. They sound the same the only reason people hear a difference is different setup between the two or they really need to put down the doobie or very popular people want to hear a difference. Ask peavey themselves about the difference they will be happy to tell you.

Last edited:

KailM

Reaction score
None of that they are the exact same amp just the 6505+ has separate EQ and an extra preamp tube. They sound the same the only reason people hear a difference is different setup between the two or they really need to put down the doobie or very popular people want to hear a difference. Ask peavey themselves about the difference they will be happy to tell you.

Ummm, nope. They have several differences in the circuitry in both channels. Not the same by a long shot. The 6505/5150 does not filter out near as much low end in the beginning stages of the preamp and sounds meatier, thicker, and looser. The midrange is also a bit lower and more ferocious. It is the meanest sounding out of all the 5150 family. Kinda loose response unless you boost it with an OD.

The 5150II/6505+ filters a lot more of your beginning low end in the preamp and sounds considerably tighter and more focused as a result. Mids are higher up in range and snarl more than growl.

I have both amps and the differences are immediately apparent-- I don't know what you're going on about. I prefer the original's lead tone so I modded my 6505+ to have 5150/6505 specs on that channel-- completely different amp after that. I do slightly prefer the 6505+ rhythm channel over the 5150/6505 though. For both cleans and mid-gain tones. The cleans on the + are a lot better and not just because of the EQ.

Finally, I've never really noticed a difference in amount of gain on tap. It's kind of like the question: would you like $100,000,000,000,000 or $200,000,000,000,000? ...at that point it's so far beyond what anyone needs that it's irrelevant. I run my gain at 3 and it's enough for death and black metal.

HerbalDude420

Reaction score
The information I got is straight from the people who actually make the amp ask them yourselves I think they know there amp more than you or anybody that modded your amp. They are the ones who came up with the circuitry I think they know what they are talking about. With everything stock on both amps there should be no difference except separate EQ and cleaner cleans.

KailM

Reaction score
The information I got is straight from the people who actually make the amp ask them yourselves I think they know there amp more than you or anybody that modded your amp. They are the ones who came up with the circuitry I think they know what they are talking about. With everything stock on both amps there should be no difference except separate EQ and cleaner cleans.

I modded my 6505+ myself and saw firsthand that there are differences between two resistor values and a capacitor value between the 6505 and 6505+. VERY different values. Furthermore, those were not the only different components-- but merely the ones that would make the biggest impact in changing the circuit from 6505+ to 6505 specs. I know what I hear in front of the amp as well. To claim they are the same is wrong, and also NOT what anyone who builds the amps at Peavey would say. I'm sorry, but you are under a false impression here and I will link you to schematics and sites varifying what I'm saying when I get to my computer where I have those bookmarked.

But I'm sure there will be others who come along and corroborate what I'm saying before then.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Now actually TRY a 6505 and 6505+ and tell me you don't notice a difference. ;)

I owned a 5150II and played a 5150. They're difference. The 5150 is more saturated and beefier, while the 5150II is dryer and tighter. The core tone of the amps ARE the same, but there's a notice difference in the feel and tightness.

Shit, James Brown is a member here. Maybe he can give some insight?

EDIT: Actually just found an interview. James Brown says the 5150II is based on a mod he did to one of Eddie's orginal 5150s to make it tighter. So it's definitely not the same circuit.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

Are you maybe thinking of the differences between a 5150 and a 6505 vs a 6505 and 6505+?

Not trying to be a dick, just making sure. Honestly I wouldn't be that surprised if peavey claims 6505 and 6505+ are the same sound other than the EQ.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I have both and they are different. Both are great but I like the 6505 more. It has an unrefined quality to it. I'd just get whichever you find first or for the best price, as they are so similar, but apples to apples Id pick the 6505 over the + every time. Also grab a noise gate, a ts9, or Maxon etc. tube screamer and an mxr 10 band for the loop. They are always recommended because they just flat out work so well with these amps.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Or grab an old VTM from the 80s. Supposedly the 5150 was based on that circuit.

But the 6505+ 112 combo is cheap as hell.

MTGeezy

Reaction score
I won't be getting a combo. Looking at obtaining a Marshall cab also so I'll be getting the head!