Peavey 6534+

ibanezRG1527

Banned
Reaction score
has ANYONE used one?!?!?! i heard that it should sound more full and middy and have a bit more of a punch but ive never even seen one (accept for pictures) so i dont know. ive played about 100 6505+'s and theyre nice but i love having a lot of mids (i dont djent, i just love a full, punchy tone) and the 6505+ is really lacking in that.

so has anyone compared the 2 back to back?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
... what settings are you using where a 6505 lacks full punchy tone :scratch:

the EL34's offer a bit of a different flavour. Both are great.

ibanezRG1527

Banned
Reaction score
no its definately punchy, make no mistake but it never really kicked me in the face, you know? and i set it to anything and everything

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
... what settings are you using where a 6505 lacks full punchy tone :scratch:

Thats what i was wondering.....both 6505 and 6505+ i find to have plenty of full punchy tone AND midrange, but they HAVE to have the volume cranked. Setting either amp with the EQ all at 6, gain at 5(4 or lower if boosted), presence at 6-7, resonance at 7-8(presence and resonance will vary with your cab) will bring u thick but cutting full punchy goodness, esp if you add an OD boost for extra bounce/tightness.

In answer to your question, Ive read from people who have tried the 6534+ that in comparison to the 6505+ its kinda lacking in the ballsiness department but still sounds pretty damn good and is undeniably a 6505 series amp...just with a slightly different flavor in the voicing due to the EL34's

ibanezRG1527

Banned
Reaction score
i got it pretty loud and it was great but not all there (IMO). nothing to hate AT ALL but nothing really to love either. it was just a bit generic sounding and it made me feel like i was no different than anyone else who owns one. thats why im interested in the 6534+ more. im looking for something a bit different that can give me the tone that i want. but since ive never even seen one, i figured id ask the experts here who seem to have every amp there is at their local store.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I has nothing to add here, but I'm really curious about these, too. I'm generally more of an EL34 guy, I think, so I'd love to try a 6534. But you just don't see them in stores like you do the 6505. And the you tube clips don't make them sound much different than the 6505s (surprise surprise).

HeavyRiffin

Reaction score
I find that the 6505+ is as muddy as you could want from an amp when you run it with an OD pedal and I love mids! Which channel have you used? Both offer very different tones, personally I believe the rhythm channel delivers a fatter sound when tweaked! However it can sound a little dry and cold, but I imagine this would be a problem on the rhythm channel for the 6534.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I find that the 6505+ is as muddy as you could want from an amp when you run it with an OD pedal and I love mids! Which channel have you used? Both offer very different tones, personally I believe the rhythm channel delivers a fatter sound when tweaked! However it can sound a little dry and cold, but I imagine this would be a problem on the rhythm channel for the 6534.

I find this true on the 6505 (non+) model as well.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Based on what I have heard with Peavey's that have EL34's as opposed to 6L6's:

- Sound isn't as warm overall (not as muddy)
- Highs sound less hi-fi
- Distortion sounds slightly more traditional (Marshall)
- Tighter
- Less bees
- Not as dark

There is a pretty big difference in sound, compare this XXX with 6L6's with a 3120 with EL-34's:

Both amps have the same control layout because the 3120 is actually a altered version of the XXX, just like the JSX was. The XXX has the ability to run both 6L6's or EL34's, so Peavey made it into three different amps.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Based on what I have heard with Peavey's that have EL34's as opposed to 6L6's:

- Sound isn't as warm overall (not as muddy)
- Highs sound less hi-fi
- Distortion sounds slightly more traditional (Marshall)
- Tighter
- Less bees
- Not as dark

There is a pretty big difference in sound, compare this XXX with 6L6's with a 3120 with EL-34's:

Both amps have the same control layout because the 3120 is actually a altered version of the XXX, just like the JSX was. The XXX has the ability to run both 6L6's or EL34's, so Peavey made it into three different amps.

so what your telling me is i can make my 3120 sound like xxx by switching the power tubes?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I find the 6505 (not the +)has the punchiest feel to it, the 6505 series has plenty of mids, one having more lows mids, while the other has more high mids, either wya they can be quite middy, not as much as an ENGL Invader can get, but pretty damn middy, if you want punch move to the 6505 from the plus

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Just to let you guys know the 3120 is just a rebadged xxx that comes stock with el34's...

pathos45

Reaction score
straight from peaveys site

"- Power amp switchable to use EL34s or 6L6GCs (ships with EL34s)"

and like what cheesebuiscut said the 3120 is just a repackaged xxx, and the xxx II is just a repackaged jsx.

Latest posts