Peavey JSX vs Mesa express 5:50 vs Mesa Rectoberb 50

• Thread starter DragonGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I've owned the JSX and the Mesa Single Rec. I'd take the Rectoverb in a heartbeat. The JSX is a fantastic amp. Excellent features, super tweakable, and more power than you could possibly need, but I spent hours and hours dialing the tone, retubed with KT77s, switched cabs, and never could love the tone. Traded it for the Single Rec straight across, spent 30 seconds twisting knobs, and had my ideal tone.

That said, I'm currently playing a 5150III 50W, which fits into your budget if you find a used one, and haven't been happier. I've had it for a year now and have had zero amp GAS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarledge

Reaction score
I've got KT77's in my XXX. Effing awesome sound! :hbang:

i have an integrated quad of 2 kt66s and 2 6l6s in my triple. It is ....ing brutal. I never really have to turn my gain up past 4 on the amp to get some serious brutality.

the stiletto ace is the best amp of the line. I owned one and would own another one again. It is more like a lone star though as far as gain and voicing. The deuce and trident are super bright, and don't have a ton of gain either. They are sort of like a brighter jcm 800 in that they are throaty. You smash the front end with some actives and maybe a boost and you can get some decent metal tones out of them but by enlarge they are overly bright. Like you turn treble down all the way and mids and bass up and it is still too bright.

get a mini recto. I really enjoy the 34/84 sound in the recto line. To me the little recto sounds better than some of the other recto generations out there.