Photography Thread

Reaction score
I am kind of hating how the photography world is evolving so fast. I have the hardest time selling old gear, because company A (usually sony) has released 20 different bodies since my Pentax K5 was released. Though upgraded to the K1, the K5 sits there and no one seems interested in picked it up, even with a lens attached.

Digital cameras body's are looked at as computers now. Put a few years over them and they're as old as yesterday's newspaper... then, there's the growing quality of smartphones cameras and "classic photography" gets lost in the noise...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
That trip was very good to me in terms of scenery and understanding what I like about photography in general. High quality shots straight out of the camera (that one's a 9-stop filter on a Zeiss 21mm for maybe 30-45 seconds) beat photoshop work afterwards every time. Probably why I'll stick to black and white in the future, tbh. Whenever I end up buying another bunch of gear, anyway.

feilong29

Reaction score
Since I converted to Mac, I had to convert from Lightroom to Capture One, and I am pretty satisfied with the transition. These pics are from my trip to Hitachi Seaside Park, Japan. Still in love with my Fujifilm X-E3 and 18mm combo!

50527325973_78e4690b59_h.jpg

50527326238_bfb729f981_h.jpg

50528209702_dbc0f6807d_h.jpg

50528209032_992ba4dc66_h.jpg

50527327493_2358debeed_h.jpg

50528209437_c4c490be09_h.jpg

50528209557_e7643cfdd5_h.jpg

50527326993_345bb67d80_h.jpg

50528054191_080a7952e4_h.jpg

Reaction score
Some of those photos are, imo, a bit compressed and lack white/dark gradient, they get a really vintage vibe like if they were colored Back&white photos like they used to do back in the first quarter of last century.

Some other photos are way too dark for my tastes, but that can well be your own intention/expression... or my computer monitor...?

Nice photos, nevertheless!

feilong29

Reaction score
Some of those photos are, imo, a bit compressed and lack white/dark gradient, they get a really vintage vibe like if they were colored Back&white photos like they used to do back in the first quarter of last century.

Some other photos are way too dark for my tastes, but that can well be your own intention/expression... or my computer monitor...?

Nice photos, nevertheless!

Hey hey! I make them dark--it's my thing until I grow up haha. but a lot of my pics were underexposed because it's been many MANY months since I last went out to shoot. So, I'm just trying to get back into the mix and also, learning a new software program. Thanks for checking them out though.

Reaction score
@feilong29 all cool bro, if it's your thing to do underexposed photos, do so. Art it's not about technique, but about conscience and feelings.

... although, I still feel that the vertical photo of those flowers (the one with no sky) could benefit with a bit more light in it. Just for the fun of it, experiment with post production on that...? it's a challenge, I dare you!... lol, just kidding...

... but I still I dare you!...:D

feilong29

Reaction score
@feilong29 all cool bro, if it's your thing to do underexposed photos, do so. Art it's not about technique, but about conscience and feelings.

... although, I still feel that the vertical photo of those flowers (the one with no sky) could benefit with a bit more light in it. Just for the fun of it, experiment with post production on that...? it's a challenge, I dare you!... lol, just kidding...

... but I still I dare you!...:D

Challenge accepted! I appreciate that bro, and I thought about it when I was looking through my pics the other day. I was actually dead tired while editing and had just installed the new software, and wanted to put some stuff out there. But I'll edit again and place them here for you to check out!

Reaction score
@feilong29 I took the liberty to save that photo to my computer and applied 2 filters layers to it in Photoshop, first filter layer is Levels, with a gradient circular mask centered over the front flowers (give or take) and the second filter layer is a Hue/Saturation to remove a bit of excess saturation resulting from the brighter filter that the Levels layer bring up. This is obviously super subjective, but I think it turned out a pretty decent editing that brought up front plane and got the background a little farther away, all without loosing the initial feeling and aesthetics of the photo... in my opinion, that is. What do you think?

Teste_SSO_tmo.jpg

feilong29

Reaction score
@feilong29 I took the liberty to save that photo to my computer and applied 2 filters layers to it in Photoshop, first filter layer is Levels, with a gradient circular mask centered over the front flowers (give or take) and the second filter layer is a Hue/Saturation to remove a bit of excess saturation resulting from the brighter filter that the Levels layer bring up. This is obviously super subjective, but I think it turned out a pretty decent editing that brought up front plane and got the background a little farther away, all without loosing the initial feeling and aesthetics of the photo... in my opinion, that is. What do you think?

Teste_SSO_tmo.jpg

Oh man! The highlights on the flowers are really nice! I am crappy with photoshop and layers, but you did a bang up job though :D I'll see what else I can come up with.

Reaction score
Oh man! The highlights on the flowers are really nice! I am crappy with photoshop and layers, but you did a bang up job though :D I'll see what else I can come up with.

Glad you liked, it really wasn't that much of an editing and it can/could be improved considerably, I just thought of it as an example of possible things to do. I only wished I had this kind of readiness on mixing my music... but I don't have a degree n music as I have in Visual Arts, so, I guess it's fair...?

soliloquy

Reaction score
Exploring random things on photoshop. Did a selfie for Halloween using a two light setup.
I hate doing selfies as it requires so much back and forth for me. I also usually shoot wide-open, but had to step down to f16 to increase my depth of field to allow for random things to be in focus as I run back and forth.

Attachments

• 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 6

soliloquy

Reaction score
29.jpg

Got a new lens for the A7rii.
Though I still hate the camera, I got it for 2 reasons: eye autofocus, and 42megapixels. The lens i got is the 75mm f1.8. was debating in the 85mm samyang, or viltrox, but went with the smaller.

Though I love the 85, the 75 is rather unusual. It also helps me save a bit more to eventually get the 105mm 1.4 lens.

Did a selfie as the lockdown is keeping me from people at the moment

Latest posts