[pic] Behringer "tube" pedals

• Thread starter skinhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Look what this guys do

tube-glow.jpg

D

Desecrated

If I remember correctly the tubes are still connected, and if I remember there was some high end gear that did the same;

"There is a light behind the tube only because its a starved plate design that Behringer implements. Its sort of a hybrid between solid state, and vacume tube. They put the lights behind it because customers "expect it to glow" Now you or I could be sitting here killing ourselves laughing (which lets face it, we should be as its pretty funny. However, it is in the chain, just not as much as I would like!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the tubes are still connected, and if I remember there was some high end gear that did the same;

Yeah I don't know about that.... the tubes in an Engl have backlit LEDs behind them but the tubes are still glowing! :rofl: Seems fishy.... :spock:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of processors are using "starved plate" designs so they don't have to deliver high voltages to the tubes inside, but the tubes still alter the tone. Tubes don't really "glow" in these designs, so Behringer added some PR enhancers, I guess. :spock:

D

Desecrated

A lot of processors are using "starved plate" designs so they don't have to deliver high voltages to the tubes inside, but the tubes still alter the tone. Tubes don't really "glow" in these designs, so Behringer added some PR enhancers, I guess. :spock:

Yes, because kids don't know this stuff, so if the tubes aren't glowing they will think it's broken.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You simply can not light up a tube with 9 volts, can't be done. The tube is working and coloring the tone but it just won't light up. There are actually three ways you can use a tube in a pedal and I personally don't like the tone of any of them. The LEDs are purely cosmetic.

Some preamp tubes don't light up even in amps... mine don't. They're lit but the filament is encased so you can't see the light :agreed: Thank god for Engl and their LEDs.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
You simply can not light up a tube with 9 volts, can't be done. The tube is working and coloring the tone but it just won't light up. There are actually three ways you can use a tube in a pedal and I personally don't like the tone of any of them. The LEDs are purely cosmetic.

I dig the Mesa V-Twin, but a big case with two tubes and a dedicated power supply doesn't really qualify as a pedal. :lol:

Some preamp tubes don't light up even in amps... mine don't. They're lit but the filament is encased so you can't see the light :agreed: Thank god for Engl and their LEDs.

Most people seem to forget that they are supposed to be vaccum tubes, which means they are not really supposed to glow. Since we cannot get a perfect vaccum, the glow comes from the burning of trace gases, and becomes brighter the more power you push through them. Generally, preamp tubes look like a little dot of light to me.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I dig the Mesa V-Twin, but a big case with two tubes and a dedicated power supply doesn't really qualify as a pedal. :lol:

Agreed! It's a preamp not a pedal. I ran one of those into the effects return of a Blue Voodoo at a friends house and I'll be damned if it didn't slay!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed! It's a preamp not a pedal. I ran one of those into the effects return of a Blue Voodoo at a friends house and I'll be damned if it didn't slay!

I saw a blues/rock bar band one night, and the guy was playing a Floyded Strat into a V Twin and Marshall JMP(?) 2x12 combo. rolled back the volumes for cleans, up for gritty rhythms, and the two differnent settings on on the V Twin for heavier rhythms and leads. He sounded absolutely amazing. Those "pedals" made his Marshall sound like it was going to explode!

SHREDTOKILL

LOW AND SLOW
Reaction score

i installed some leds in my b52 because im cheap and cant afford a engl haha.
gutiarshit002.jpg

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I actually remember reading a review of an acoustic onboard preamp that used a tube in this manner to slow down the transients on a piezo, and evidently sounded godly doing so.

starsnuffer

Reaction score
But it has the SOUL OF VALVES!

Tubes live in digital gear for a singular reason.

To get the unknowledgable to buy the gear. Most of the "starved plate" designs aren't even using the tubes as a transistor, but rather simply passing the signal through the tube.

-W

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
The Vox Tonelab/ADxxVT serie do the same (orange LED), and the tube is working DAMN FINE, it does the retro tube amp really well :) They don't use starvation mode but another, I can't remember how it works.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
every once in a while i'll see a V-twin for sale locally.. i never have $300 to drop on it thought.

i'd love to try one.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
They can be used in the starved plate method, in place of a clipping diode, or as a buffer that colors the tone a bit. I don't think anybody uses them just for looks.

Latest posts