Pick an Album to Re-record

• Thread starter Nanker Phelge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I find this complaint funny because that was a common complaint of a lot of mid-late 2000s - early 2010s metal as well lol. Every metal band was using EMGs, Tubescreamer, Rectos and 5150s and everyone was going for that Colin Richardson/Andy Sneap/Adam D sound. The more things change etc etc
Maybe it's 2 or 3 decades ago...it's just my mind playing tricks to persuade me that I'm not an old fart

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most Blind Guardian albums: Add some f*****g bass and decompress those guitars. Not sure what can be done with just remixing/mastering.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
SlipKnot - Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses

There's good songs on that album, but the production sounds like ass! Way too mid-forward in my opinion. That album could sound so massive with a proper production.

Can't really think of anything else :scratch:

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I presume most people wanting And Justice For All... remixed have heard this:

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
SlipKnot - Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses

There's good songs on that album, but the production sounds like ass! Way too mid-forward in my opinion. That album could sound so massive with a proper production.

Can't really think of anything else :scratch:
The Terry Date remix of Vermillion is the perfect example of how good that album couldn't been mixed/mastered. Sounds 10,000 times better than the album version.

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Funny you mention Suffocation, cuz I came in here to suggest Pierced From Within
Really? That’s a great sounding death metal record.

I’d say the newer Nile records. I don’t like his tone. Too thin. I’d re-record/remaster everything with the Annihilation of the Wicked guitar tone. That album sounded perfect imo

gnoll

Reaction score
How about let's re-record all the Sneap stuff and give it some personality?

Start with Exodus and Testament. If their newer albums had productions more like Bonded By Blood and The Legacy they might be more listenable.

The Gathering is fine though. That one can be left as it is.

Sammy J

Reaction score
Breeding the Spawn is the one that sticks out the most.

The Apostasy by Behemoth is a good record, but I wish it sounded more like Demigod.

As much as I’ve enjoyed Vitriol - To Bathe from the throat of cowardice, I can still say that I wish it had a less muddied and brick walled production. The songs on there are killer, and it would’ve sounded even better with clearer production. Love it as is, but it could still be improved.

CrucibleContact

Reaction score
U
The Common Man's Collapse by Veil of Maya and it's not even close lol
Unfortunately look at what born of Osiris did with the new reign… nailed it on everything until it came to the most important part.. that keyboard on abstract art is so different tonally that it just ruins an otherwise amazing moment

Malhomme

Reaction score
For me that would be the first Cacophony album. Guitars are so inventive. Sound is absolute shit. Varney was a great talent hunter, but no producer.
That would require some serious magic powers to get Jason Becker being able to play guitar again....

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
And then we would complain about all modern production sounding the same.

We already do that. There really is no winning when it comes to this type of thing.

Example, see the Childre of Bodom thread where people suddenly dislike the Follow the Reaper tone, one of the most sought-after guitar tones in metal. Hell, people in this thread saying Slaughter of the Soul like it wasn't one of the benchmarks for the HM-2 buzz saw sound.

Silliness. All of it.

JediMasterThrash

Reaction score
I don't quite get the Symphony X V comments. I think that's one of their better recordings. At least for guitar tone. I feel the bass guitar is doubling the guitar a lot and mixed too loud, and this causes it to mud out, but I don't think the guitar is the problem. It's kind of AJFA in reverse.

I've listened to a bunch of the AJFA remakes and tend to not like them. There's several where they just use AI/DSP to turn up Newsteds actual Bass tracks. And the results sound like crap. The bass is a bit too low-mid honky. I understand why the turned down. THe bass tone is really annoying ontop of the guitars. Now the bass on Black album was great so they got it all fixed then.

I think I heard the one with like anthrax-tone for bass. That's actually my favorite AJFA remix. Anthrax had some great bass tone in the 80's.

On one other remake I forgot about, Iced Earth Days of Purgatory. This is one where I much prefer Matt Barlow's voice over those early raspers. But the guitar production is way overproduced. On the earlier albums you can hear all the fast palm-muting riffs staccato styile, great thrash. But on new albums including Purgatory, it has that overprocessed/compressed guitar tone and all the palm-muted fast riffs just run togehter with no note articulation. My guess is the use of multitrack recording, but without Hetfields god-like rhythm matching capability.

Also, there's a certain date, like 1983 and earlier, where all production and electric guitars are thin and shrieky, particularly thrash albums. Think like Kill em All, Fistfull of Metal, Iron Maiden S/T, Sirens.

Which is funny because other bands at the time, Dio, Malmsteen's stuff, AOR, that weren't gain-cranked-to-11 had some great electric guitar tones,

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Gordian Knot's "Emergent." It's actually an awesome sounding album, warm, lush, and deep, and is chock full of some AMAZING music... but it was recorded by the musicians separately in their various home studios, early in the digital recording era, and there are a few points with audible clipping - the opening drum/bass/key hit on "Fisher's Gambit," for example. I'd LOVE a clean version.