Pickup and Preamp Recommendations for Custom Bass build

soundbase

Reaction score
So I'm deciding on doing a custom 35-37-inch multi scale 5 strings bass with a luthier.

I'm looking for some pickup and preamp recommendations for the bass. It's mainly going to be used for low tunings with metal riffs. I want to tune it down to F0.

For pickups was looking at the Nordstrand Big Split 5s.

And then for the preamps was deciding between the Aguilar OBP-1 PreAmp, or Dark Glass Tone Capsule.

But my knowledge on bass builds and parts is still very limited.

So any recommendations would be highly appreciated. And also if there is maybe more cost effective but still good quality pickups and preamps that would help. trying to see where can save on the build :)

MrWulf

Reaction score
So I'm deciding on doing a custom 35-37-inch multi scale 5 strings bass with a luthier.

I'm looking for some pickup and preamp recommendations for the bass. It's mainly going to be used for low tunings with metal riffs. I want to tune it down to F0.

For pickups was looking at the Nordstrand Big Split 5s.

And then for the preamps was deciding between the Aguilar OBP-1 PreAmp, or Dark Glass Tone Capsule.

But my knowledge on bass builds and parts is still very limited.

So any recommendations would be highly appreciated. And also if there is maybe more cost effective but still good quality pickups and preamps that would help. trying to see where can save on the build :)

How do you know if you need a custom while your knowledge on bass builds and parts are very limited?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

olejason

Reaction score
Big Splits with an OBP-1 has been a pretty standard setup for years and should work fine. Who is the luthier? I wouldn't trust just anyone on a build to get a good sounding F0.

A-Branger

Reaction score
yup for nordstrands pickups, cant go wrong with them. The real question is the position of them on the bass, so do bit of research on that

as for "pre-amp" , see it more as a "on-board EQ" , dont aproach it as a "pre-amp" like a guitar amp (for example). The darkglass pre-amp is not gonna male your bass sound like a BK7 for example.

each brand has different EQ frequencies, darkglass have more "mid" than "high" frequencies (low-mid-mid, instead of low-mid-high) so find the pre-amp with the Hz range that you would preffer.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
why not get the fanned 5 string on rondo right now and a b7k and explore the bass space a bit before spending thousands of dollars on a custom?

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
why not get the fanned 5 string on rondo right now and a b7k and explore the bass space a bit before spending thousands of dollars on a custom?
This… explore different pickups, preamps etc in a cheap instrument, flip everything you don’t like (including the bass, potentially) and find out exactly what you want before you risk a large investment on something you’re unsure about.

Or even get a used import Dingwall to get a feel for low F, if that’s also new to you. A lot of guys end up not getting along with tunings that low. You will basically break even if/when it’s time to sell.

olejason

Reaction score
Agreed, F0 simply doesn't work the way guitar players often assume it will, regardless of scale length haha

Adieu

Reaction score
Imho Duncan Blackouts for Bass with "passive pots" (active values of 10, 25, or 50k, but no preamp)