Pickup picking up metronome click in DAW????

• Thread starter 777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
I recorded a track and noticed a feint metronome click was recorded from the DAW - Im using headphones.

I tried shouting into the pickup with my lips right against the strings and that was slightly picked up too.

Is this my interface picking up interference, or are my pickups microphonic???

It only seems to happen when using virtual amps? not with the DI

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
hm, that´s weird. if you use headphones also for recording, i doubt it´s the pickups, since any bleeding sound from headphones is super quiet. could be the output of the interface is bleeding a bit into the input. things like that can happen. for example my inputs 1 and 2 can bleed into each other. it´s very faint, but it happens.

the reason you hear it with amp sims and not the di is because lots of distortion also raises any very low level noise and sounds so the faint click will get louder.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
T
hm, that´s weird. if you use headphones also for recording, i doubt it´s the pickups, since any bleeding sound from headphones is super quiet. could be the output of the interface is bleeding a bit into the input. things like that can happen. for example my inputs 1 and 2 can bleed into each other. it´s very faint, but it happens.

the reason you hear it with amp sims and not the di is because lots of distortion also raises any very low level noise and sounds so the faint click will get louder.
Thanks for the great explanation! Is there any way to remedy this?

It wont be a problem once I get back home and have my AxeFX back - just using amp sims temporarily :)

nickgray

Reaction score
It's probably a routing issue. Double check the routing software (if you have it) for your sound card.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
It's probably a routing issue. Double check the routing software (if you have it) for your sound card.

What should I be looking out for here? New to all this.

Im using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo via USB.

Signal Chain is:
Guitar, Scarlett, Cubase, VST Amp
Monitoring through Cubase via headphones connected to Scarlett.

nickgray

Reaction score
What should I be looking out for here? New to all this.

Read the manual, Scarletts have software that allows you to change the routing, I don't know the specifics, but all the info should be in the manual.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I don't know if it would still do it with virtual amps, but my Les Paul has some fairly hot, unpotted PAF style pickups and they pick up stuff when I'm playing with a lot of gain. Do you have another guitar you can try to see if it still does it? The 2 types of pickups I've noticed it with are PAF style and JBs.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
I'd try setting the Audio Input Channel to Input 2 , not Input 1 or a combination of 1 + 2 .

SteveFireland

Reaction score
I've had that happen, so I always reach over and turn off the click on any long held notes/chords that don't have drums - like at the end of the song... that's the only time it might be noticeable on the track.