Pickup Recommendation for Agile 727

DominoDerek

Diehard Prog fan
Reaction score
Greetings fellow 7-stringers.

So I just got an Agile 727. It's absolutely beautiful and is an awesome guitar. However, the pickups are kinda weak sounding and I want to replace them.

So I'm basically looking at at 2 different sets, both being Dimarzios.
The Jp Crunch lab/liquifire VS the D-activators.

My guitar is a solid piece of mahogany. I'm looking for a balanced, clear, tight sound that is good for lead and rhythm. Think Dream Theater/Periphery stuff.

Anyway, what would you guys chose?
(I've heard a lot of people who mix the D-activator Bridge with the Liquifire, and I'm open to doing this as well.)

And although I'm usually open to suggestions, I'm pretty set on getting Dimazrios, being that Bareknuckles are expensive and I don't like duncans or active pickups.

Here is a link to my guitar (again, it's an awesome guitar)
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB CP Tribal Purple - RondoMusic.com

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I've had amazing luck with D Activators. They feel a bit punchier than the CL/LF and seemed to have more attack and bite, with a lot of clarity. I think they're my favourite pickups I've tried to date. Loved their cleans, too. The CL/LF seems a bit warmer and smoother.

The body is technically mahogany, but don't forget you've got the maple and walnut neck running all the way through the body. And I'm still not totally sure how much I feel wood species affects tone. If your guitar sounds bright and attacky, try the CL/LF. If it sounds meatier, try the D Activators. If you're not really sure, my personal opinion is D Activators :)

The Blazes always sounded funny to me. :2c:

DominoDerek

Diehard Prog fan
Reaction score
Thanks, that is actually really helpful.

This guitar is extremely warm/smooth sounding, so it sounds like the D-activators would add the attack I'm looking for.

Btw nice big lebowski pic :).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I have the JP set in mine with bar facing the neck and I like it! This the 3rd set of pickup I've had in it.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
D-Activators. Nuff said. They're the most versatile pickup I've ever played.

Inb4 "BKP's are better than everything because Misha said so" :lol:

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
+1 for D-Activators.

Also, ^BKPs are great, a tad overhyped maybe, but you don't get a reputation like that by making shit pickups. Even so, you don't need them to get your guitar to sound amazing.

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
While this isn't directly applicable, I have a D-Sonic in my Basswood RG and I like the fact that I can swap the facing of the bar to get a different sound out of the pickup. Something to keep in mind

DominoDerek

Diehard Prog fan
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for all the help. I think I'll go with D activators matched set.

(If I dislike one of the pickups, I'll just exchange it with something from the Jp set.)