Pickup recommendations for a Les Paul styled guitar?

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
Going in a Schecter Solo II Custom, all Mahogany, Les Paul clone more or less. The Pasadenas are sweet just a lil too warm, was thinkin a JB but never tried one. Looking for something like this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
Going in a Schecter Solo II Custom, all Mahogany, Les Paul clone more or less. The Pasadenas are sweet just a lil too warm, was thinkin a JB but never tried one. Looking for something like this.

I have a schecter Solo II custom as well and have been looking for a pickup that will turn the guitar into an absolute fire breathing beast of a guitar. I have the Fishman DT set in there and I feel it is just missing something. If I don't end up getting a good sound out of it I am probably just gonna sell it and use the funds to get a nicer 7 string for my 5th year anniversary

littlebadboy

Reaction score
If you're fine with unknown brands, Guitar Madness on eBay has really hot GM Dirty Digits (ala Gibson Dirty Fingers)back on stock currently. They go really fast. They're cheap enough to try and toss, but I'm sure you will like them.

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
On another note though the Schecters absolutely killer man, alot of attitude. The Pasadenas it comes with have actually grown on me, pretty great quality for stock pickups. Solid axe.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
On another note though the Schecters absolutely killer man, alot of attitude. The Pasadenas it comes with have actually grown on me, pretty great quality for stock pickups. Solid axe.

If the pasadenas in mine had just a bit more thump and tightness in the bass with added output I would have probably kept mine in

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I just put a BKP Painkiller in one of my guitars (LTD EC-400VF, same specs as yours) and it definitely did the opposite of warming it up. Added a shit-ton of bite and low end tightness. Made an all-mahogany warm-as-fuck guitar my most aggressive sounding instrument.

OTOH if you want something cheaper, I just put a Distortion in my other EC-400VF. While not as bitey and tight as the Painkiller, it still made the guitar sound mean as shit. More of a midrange roar with the Distortion vs the cutting bite of the Painkiller.

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
I just put a BKP Painkiller in one of my guitars (LTD EC-400VF, same specs as yours) and it definitely did the opposite of warming it up. Added a shit-ton of bite and low end tightness. Made an all-mahogany warm-as-fuck guitar my most aggressive sounding instrument.

OTOH if you want something cheaper, I just put a Distortion in my other EC-400VF. While not as bitey and tight as the Painkiller, it still made the guitar sound mean as shit. More of a midrange roar with the Distortion vs the cutting bite of the Painkiller.

Been wanting to try some Bareknuckles forever man.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
For another option, take what @HeHasTheJazzHands said about the Painkiller, and apply that to the Duncan P-rails. Puts plenty of bite and aggression in my Epi LP Standard on the P90 and humbucker setting. I'll often use the P90 for rhythm and humbucker mode for leads, though I've had really good results with the opposite also.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For another option, take what @HeHasTheJazzHands said about the Painkiller, and apply that to the Duncan P-rails. Puts plenty of bite and aggression in my Epi LP Standard on the P90 and humbucker setting. I'll often use the P90 for rhythm and humbucker mode for leads, though I've had really good results with the opposite also.

I was considering the Prails before I found the painkiller. :lol: Just couldn't find enough impressions for higher-gainsituations.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the pickup height yet?

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I was considering the Prails before I found the painkiller. :lol: Just couldn't find enough impressions for higher-gainsituations.
I could post a couple room audio clips of them in a D standard/drop C high gain context, but I dunno how useful they would be. From what I understand, they're lower output than the Painkiller, but with my MT15 and a boost they kill for modern metal. Kinda like a more versatile version of what I hoped the Nazgul would be when I tried it.