Pickup suggestions

• Thread starter spkenn5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spkenn5

a n00b
Reaction score
I need the 'right' pickup for my 7 string ibanez (RG7620 to be exact). Basswood Body, Rosewood fingerboard. My amp is a Marshall JCM2000 DSL201. I was wondering which pickup could get me close to Dream Theater like crunch, something that will clarify the open chords through a distorted channel. As for the neck pickup what could be the best possible match for it? I emailed dimarzio earlier, they recommended me dactivator 7 and air norton 7, i wonder what 7-stringers here have to say about this.. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
D Sonic 7 or an Evo 7.

Petrucci uses the D Sonic, so if you want a Dream Theater tone, i'd say that's a good place to start.

spkenn5

a n00b
Reaction score
yeah that was i was thinkin.. how can da7 could hit DTs.. im not merely tryin to copy DTs, something that could get me the clarity of power chords and full open chords through distorted channel.. some pups.. like the one i have right now, its not clear enough..

evo 7 + air norton ;)

blaze or dsonic too if i can find cheap ones :)

time to hit gear page

Quicksilver689

Jesus freak
Reaction score
D Activator for Dream Theater? :scratch:

Just go with Petrucci's pickups, if you want Dimarzios. D Sonic 7/Air Norton 7. Bam.

:agreed: No doubt about it - I have the 6's versions of those pickups now, and although I have korina-maple-ebony in my guitar, those pickups do a great job for those kinds of tones :hbang:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go with Evo7/An7 combo - you wont regret it.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
lol guys, lets be honest, bareknuckles are for people who know what they are looking for already. or people with too much money lol. that said i personally recommend bareknuckles. im a poor college student, and im getting em :shrug:
they ARE pretty amazing. for your money though, i find the blaze custom to be very much like the blaze, but a bit more full sounding. an7 is great in the neck. i personally like the evo though