Pickups for active routed multiscale 7 - Lace deathbar?

• Thread starter Peteus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peteus

Reaction score
I'm considering grabbing a lace deathbar for the bridge of a multiscale 7. Not sure if for the neck I would be best with another deathbar or a x-bar?
Anyway, any other suggestions of 3.5" active routes for my fanned 7?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

larsmul

Reaction score
A Deathbar is great if you guitar has a good natural sound , and an X-bar is perfect in the neck . The split positions are amazingly silent , and gives a less fat sound but at merely the same volume .

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
literally any other pickups. xbars are great for cleans but need a fair bit of tweaking to get a good high gain tone imo. The xbars really shine with an eq in front of the amp so you can set all the aspects of the pickup. If that kind of idea intrigues you then check out cycfi pickups.

duncan nazgul/pegasus/sentient or pretty much anything from bare knuckle/ lundgren/instrumental/guitarmory/elysian are available in soapbar form.
The cheapest option for a passive in a soapbar cover would be buy a pickup you like, then get plastic bass pickup covers to put over em. if that's too much work for you then be prepared to get hosed by most of those companies (guitarmory and elysian excluded, they have more reasonable pricing when it comes to making soapbar versions).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Grab a pair of EMGs to taste. Yeah, some folks on the internet will give you some shit, but they're industry standard for a reason. Low noise, very flexible and they make tons of options in the configuration you're looking for.

Best of all, you can grab used ones cheap and thanks to the quick-connect you can swap them in and out till you find your favorite set.

lewis

Reaction score
Grab a pair of EMGs to taste. Yeah, some folks on the internet will give you some shit, but they're industry standard for a reason. Low noise, very flexible and they make tons of options in the configuration you're looking for.

Best of all, you can grab used ones cheap and thanks to the quick-connect you can swap them in and out till you find your favorite set.
this x1000000

Peteus

Reaction score
Interesting to hear that any soap bar pickup will do. I figured a standard soap bar pickup wouldn't have the sensing range to cover all the fanned region let alone the pole pieces not lining up. Has this worked for other people?
I'd consider EMG's but, they never work out for me in the long run. I have liked them but, after a week for me they always sound a bit lacking. Been a big fan of passive high output DiMarzio pickups for a long time. That being said I'd like to try fishman pickups.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
literally any other pickups. xbars are great for cleans but need a fair bit of tweaking to get a good high gain tone imo.
Same here. Tried hard to like them, but they just sound special in an uncool way (distorted). +1 for the Pegasus

lewis

Reaction score
Interesting to hear that any soap bar pickup will do. I figured a standard soap bar pickup wouldn't have the sensing range to cover all the fanned region let alone the pole pieces not lining up. Has this worked for other people?
I'd consider EMG's but, they never work out for me in the long run. I have liked them but, after a week for me they always sound a bit lacking. Been a big fan of passive high output DiMarzio pickups for a long time. That being said I'd like to try fishman pickups.

I have an active EMG in my fan fret 6 and on this model, they used a 6 string sized pickup rather than a 7.
Despite being incredibly close to the edge, it seems to work fine on the low and the high strings. No noticeable issues.

I would not go something with open coils though as Im unsure if the poles would line up to the strings or whatever.

lewis

Reaction score
Same here. Tried hard to like them, but they just sound special in an uncool way (distorted). +1 for the Pegasus
the bell like cleans when coil tapped were great and in neck position, its solo tones were very nice too BUT the rhythm sounds for high gain stuff was so ear fatiguing and odd. Like a weird hi-fi fizz constantly always over the tone that you cant get rid of.

Apparently you have to EQ them before you hit the amp to get the best out of them etc. Just seemed awkward and abit of a pain in the ass to have to do that to get something usable. I sold the guitar with them in and have never bought another set since.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that magnetic guitar pickups don't use line of sight to sense the vibrations of the string.

The magnetic field exentends out from the pickup a certain amount.

Lining things up exactly isn't necessary.

Peteus

Reaction score
It's worth mentioning that magnetic guitar pickups don't use line of sight to sense the vibrations of the string.

The magnetic field exentends out from the pickup a certain amount.

Lining things up exactly isn't necessary.

This is good to know. I have a few 7 string pickups knocking around so I'll give it a shot before buying a new pickup.