Pickups for Ibanez RG 7620

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Whats up, so I purchased a used 97' Ibanez RG 7620 stock except for the fretboard being scalloped from the 11th fret on. I've replaced the broken nut shelf and the worn-out locking studs with Rich's custom ones, so everything is holding tune really well and the action is great. Now that it's functionally sound, my idle mind is beginning to GAS for a possible pickup swap. I've always been a big Dimarzio fan, I've tried various emg's, various SD's (I only like the JB, for that classic, huge, ballsy rock tone). I use an EVH 5150iii 50w head and matching 1x12 cab. My band does a lot of 80's-modern rock, pop, and metal covers so I need some versatility and not necessarily too much output as my 5150iii has plenty of amp distortion. My other ESP EC401fr has 36th aniv. PAF set, my 89' American strat has the Air Norton s, Chopper s, and AT-1, and my Gibson SG has the bluesbucker pickups.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
What do you not like about the stock DiMarzios? Should be a Blaze Custom and a Blaze neck.

The stock New 7 pickups are OEM, made by Dimarzio, but not quite like any of their existing models.

That said, a Blaze Custom bridge may be a good fit. I've had one in my 7620 and loved it for all kinds of heavy sounds, and now it's in my 7621. It will be a bit hotter than the PAF set in your other guitar, but it's got a nice thick midrange and slightly rolled off highs, which will pair nicely with the EVH. I have mine paired with a PAF 7 neck, which is another all-around good pickup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devastone

Reaction score
Oh yeah, sorry, you're right, they had the "New 7s". I always liked those myself.

I have a TZ and AN in mine currently, which I like also, but strangely not as much as the stock ones (IIRC). Bought this guitar used and it had a broken neck pickup and a D-Sonic in the bridge so I found a used AN/TZ set for it.

Rex

Reaction score
If you don't need too much output I think the standard blaze is one of your best options, although it has good output and can do metal without any problems, it could be great for that 80's sounds. You need versatility with good output, the blaze is my humble choice.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
I've had the D'activator bridge in my RG827z for about 6-7 years now, I can't complain it's a solid choice, metal and rock is no problem whatsoever. I've always had the stock neck which isn't all that bad IMO, but I think now i'm gonna switch out the neck and I've been eyeing up the Liquifire to put in there. Can't speak on the latter koz I haven't tried it yet, but the D'activator bridge is where i'd go.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting the Liquifire for my ESP as well. Basically an Air norton for mahogany, sounds good to me!

I've had the D'activator bridge in my RG827z for about 6-7 years now, I can't complain it's a solid choice, metal and rock is no problem whatsoever. I've always had the stock neck which isn't all that bad IMO, but I think now i'm gonna switch out the neck and I've been eyeing up the Liquifire to put in there. Can't speak on the latter koz I haven't tried it yet, but the D'activator bridge is where i'd go.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Do you think it would have better cleans than the stock Dimarzio 'new 7's?'

If you don't need too much output I think the standard blaze is one of your best options, although it has good output and can do metal without any problems, it could be great for that 80's sounds. You need versatility with good output, the blaze is my humble choice.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
What do you not like about the stock [pickups]?

Any post asking "which pickup should I get?" should definitely include this by default. That said, you said you like a JB for the "classic, huge, ballsy rock tone," so I can't not recommend a Tone Zone. It's high output, but it never felt like it to me so you don't have to worry about too much distortion from the amp.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Any post asking "which pickup should I get?" should definitely include this by default. That said, you said you like a JB for the "classic, huge, ballsy rock tone," so I can't not recommend a Tone Zone. It's high output, but it never felt like it to me so you don't have to worry about too much distortion from the amp.

So true. Plus, I DO have the Dimarzio AT-1 in my main american strat which is supposed to be very similar to the tone zone.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Don't sleep on the Illuminator bridge, it just plain works in Ibanez 7s. I have it paired with a Liquifire in a 7421 currently and it's going nowhere.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Don't sleep on the Illuminator bridge, it just plain works in Ibanez 7s. I have it paired with a Liquifire in a 7421 currently and it's going nowhere.
illluminator and liquifire combo is awesome. I had that back in my rg7321 and had it in my prs mushok, and it just works so well for basically any genre of music I threw at it. Neither pickup is particularly versatile on their own, but together they cover a metric ton of ground.

devastone

Reaction score
The 7 string TZ, along with the 6 string version, is definitely a pickup that some love and others hate, not much middle ground. The strange thing is that while the 6 and 7 versions are similar, they aren't really the same. The 7 string version has a ceramic magnet and is tighter than the 6 string version, which is a good thing with the 7th string. It does still have the big midrange that the 6 string version.

devastone

Reaction score
The 7 string TZ, along with the 6 string version, is definitely a pickup that some love and others hate, not much middle ground. The strange thing is that while the 6 and 7 versions are similar, they aren't really the same. The 7 string version has a ceramic magnet and is tighter than the 6 string version, which is a good thing with the 7th string. It does still have the big midrange that the 6 string version.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Yeah, the 6 string Tone Zone was cool but not quite for me. I had it in my american strat before trying out a few others and finally landing on the AT-1.

I wouldn't go 7 string Tone Zone. It's not the same as the 6 string version, it's very muddy.

Reactions: fps

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score

I've had the D-activator/Liquifire setup in a couple of different guitars over the years and it's a good all-around pairing for any kind of rock or metal. The 7 string version of the D-activator is a bit darker than the 6 string one, but it works well in neutral/bright guitars like most Ibanez models

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score

This makes me think, maybe I'd like it.

pecado

Curva Sud Roma
Reaction score
I have RG 7620 VK and RG 1527 Prestige (same body wood) and i've tried different DiMarzio and Duncan models in them and my suggestion is DiMarzio D'Activator.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Found a used white D'Activator bridge on reverb for $60. Used some Reverb bucks I received as a Christmas gift, should look good with the black body and hardware. Looking forward to trying it out! Im leaning towards getting the Liquifire for the neck, but have read that the D'Activator neck pairs better with the D'Activator bridge when mixed and in split positions...Probably still gna get the Liquifire neck.