Pickups for LOW TUNINGS. Drop G, F#, E

Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling
Reaction score
Hey it's Josh again, i'm trying to find the perfect pickups to fit my Schecter c-7.
I play very low tunings such as the ones above (G,F#,E)
And i've been thinking to myself that my pickups need replaced, they're too muddy sounding. What pickups do you assure will fit these tunings, and also sound clear and bright, with a nice low end, rather than a muddy sounding piece of crap.
I was thinking maybe a DiMarzio Evo 7(Bridge) and a DiMarzio Blaze 7(Neck).

Please help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I'd say the D-Activator :yesway:
Had great results with them for low tunings, they just don't get muddy. No matter how low you tune or how much gain you use.
Tight/clear as fuck.

Purelojik

Reaction score
aftermath for sure. tighest pickup and great articulation. bought it because of the hype but now understand why people love it. also i can understand why some people cant get along with it- theres the mid resonance spike that i love but some might find undesirable you gotta hear a buncha clips to see if its something you think you'd like. the response is fantastic and even in the bridge position the cleans are great

broj15

Reaction score
I second the recomendation for the D activator. Great sounding pickup and very tight.

Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling
Reaction score
Well then hell yeah! I'll have to go with the D-activator. I hope i like it. Which i'm sure i will.

Thanks you guys!!

BabUShka

Reaction score
If you want to go the "easy way/route" then EMG 81 is a way much cleaner pickup than the 707s that comes with your C7. My Hellraiser have this in bridge, and they are very like the regular 81. Tight and clear.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I have an Evo 7 for a drop G tuning right now, but i would look into the D activator if i were to get a pickup for it today. Right now i'm pinin' for a BKP Black Hawk 7 though.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
A lot of discussion about how your pickups sound muddy... but no indication of what you're running those pickups through.

In other words, is it the pickups causing the problem? What are you using for sound reinforcement? What string gauge are you using for that low E1? You should nail down if the problem lies with the pickups before replacing them, don't you think?

vanesishe

Reaction score
Hello, guys! I'm concerned about a similar issue. I'm looking for pickup for 7 str.guitar has mahogany body with padauk top(similar to maple), bolt on bubinga neck. Tuning is F#. I'm torn between Evolution, D-Sonic, D Activator. If wouldn't the Evo too thin and treble, and D-sonic too dark and bassy or muddy. D activator is interesting for me, too, but it has rather high output. What would you recommend? I want the crisp, clear and tight sound. Clean is not important to me.

somniumaeternum

Reaction score
I'd highly recommend the Lundgren M7 series. They're much tighter than Aftermaths without the mid spike (I just tested an Aftermath myself and will be switching back to my usual Lundgren M series...) Especially for low tunings, they have immense clarity and a super tight distortion.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
Some of the best tones i've heard with tunings that low was a dude using Painkillers on a Les Paul(!) in Drop E :S

Lace Music Products

Reaction score
try the Lace Drop and Gains. They are made for drop tunings. They articulate as you drop your tuning down without any degregation in your note (s). Added bonus; passive no batteries needed.

Tiger

Reaction score
I have a Dimarzio Blaze I need to get rid of, I already sold the M7 I had in the bridge of my old 7.

I personally adore my EMGs. I started with them 14 years ago, tried tons of pickups since then, and it feels great to be back using them.

KiD Cudi

Reaction score
I'd definitely go with aftermaths they're incredibly clear and tight. I've got them in my Schecter Loomis

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
As much as I've heard about black dogs being great. I've seen very very small amounts of people buying them. Makes me wonder if anyone has bought them :lol: