Pics of my new 7-string project!!!

Serratus

Reaction score
Just took some quick pictures of my new 7-string - not the best pics as the light was awful, but thought you might want a look! The first pic was taken with a flash and that's more the correct butterscotch colour of the guitar - the second two pics are a bit washed out.
It's a project I built myself using a Carvin thru-neck blank, so it's a maple neck with ash wings (flamed ash no less - very unusual), oiled and waxed finish (this one's silky smooth), ebony board, 24 fret, hipshot 7-string trem with locking tuners and graphite nut (so dive-bombs are still possible despite no locking nut!), Bareknuckle Warpig bridge humbucker and irish tour neck. It sounds massive, and sustains for ages!! And I'm really happy with the trem - it's really light to the touch but because it has a big sustain block you can still do trem-flutter like you would on an Ibanez edge or Lopro.

Tele71.JPG

Tele72.JPG

Tele73.JPG

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of telecasters, but that actually looks really nice. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drezdin

Reaction score
Looks killer!
I've got a hipshot too. I think it's the best trem I've ever tried.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Looks very nice, I said this only few times - pure and simple - as I like it :agreed:

Guitarwizard

Reaction score
That's the first tele I would play!

EDIT: Don't know why, but I seem to have a fetish for wide, 7 or 8-stringed, blank ebony boards...

With these shiny frets in them.. *yummy*

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
wow that looks great!
did you have any issues with the Carvin neck blank? (are they still very in in the body like with the 727's?) can you give us a side shot?
plus can you get SS frets on a neck blank or did you have to fret it yourself?
Looks great, really nice job

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, another epic WIN on so many levels... A tele-shaped 7 with a REVERSE headstock!!! :eek: Reminds me of the first one you did, wich was quite a jewel (though I don't remember if it was a 7).

So... You take any orders yet for mass production? :D

Serratus

Reaction score
Hi all,
A couple of replies:
The trem is this one: 7 String US Contour Tremolo Chrome it's not cheap but is lovely!
The flamed ash was what my wood supplier happened to have when I wanted some ash - don't know where it came from before that but it is really nice and unusual.
The Carvin neck is very nice - a bit rounder than an Ibanez, but made very well and very comfortable - I'll take a pic of the heel in a minute and upload it - I've cut away quite a bit from the heel and it feels extremely comfortable, and no problems with stability. Not sure about SS frets - I just ordered the biggest frets they had! And I've done nothing to them - they're finished well.

Serratus

Reaction score
Here you go - the heel is really comfortable - you don't feel it at all even playing up really high. I thought about cutting it away a bit more so it followed the line of the guitar (in a convex curve) but I was worried about weakening the joint too much, so I shaped it pretty much straight across to leave a bit more wood there.

DSC00481.JPG

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... really nice job and nice use of the Carvin neck-thru blank! Great job integrating the heel into the body.

And i have to say, that flamed ash is absolutely stunning. Nice and simple, yet gorgeous. Congrats!