Plastic EMG's to metal EMG's...questions.

• Thread starter kingneptune117
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kingneptune117

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am getting a new LTD Eclipse which comes with black plastic EMG 81/60's. I plan on replacing these with a metal gold 57/66 set.

Will the pickup covers that came with the guitar still fit correctly around the new metal EMG's?

Also, will the metal EMG's still fit correctly in the pickup cavities? I have heard some things here and there about the dog ears on the metal EMG's being slightly larger than on the plastic ones.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Itchyman

Reaction score
The covers on EMG's are not removable. Also, they are the same size as each other, so the plastic ones wouldn't fit over the metal ones even if you could get the covers off.

The dog ears are indeed larger. You'll probably have to file them down a little - all the metalworks EMG's I have had needed this to be done.

kingneptune117

Reaction score
The covers on EMG's are not removable. Also, they are the same size as each other, so the plastic ones wouldn't fit over the metal ones even if you could get the covers off.

The dog ears are indeed larger. You'll probably have to file them down a little - all the metalworks EMG's I have had needed this to be done.

Sorry, I meant to type pickup rings, not covers.

And really? That's a bummer. I dont know why they would make them like that.

btbg

Reaction score
It takes all of 5 minutes to file the tabs down. Don't let that discourage you.

kingneptune117

Reaction score
It takes all of 5 minutes to file the tabs down. Don't let that discourage you.

I will definitely still be getting them.

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but i'm slightly concerned the metal shavings could somehow make contact with some of the electronics in the pickups or the pins and short something out when I go to plug them in.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have any issues with the tab size when I swapped my 81/85 set for a Het Set. It may not even be an issue for your guitar.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Going from EMG's to EMG's may not pose an issue, but replacing Dimarzio's that have been OEM with tight routes, will likely pose an issue if replacing with EMG's, or even Duncans for that matter.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I will definitely still be getting them.

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but i'm slightly concerned the metal shavings could somehow make contact with some of the electronics in the pickups or the pins and short something out when I go to plug them in.

I worry too much about guitar stuff and I'm fairly certain you have nothing to be concerned about. :spock:

kingneptune117

Reaction score
I worry too much about guitar stuff and I'm fairly certain you have nothing to be concerned about. :spock:

Yeah, you're probably right. Either way, when I get a new guitar I like to bring it to my local luthier just to get a thorough setup and inspection, so I will have him replace the pickups at that time.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
All you have to do is unplug the other pickups and plug these in. They're designed to swap quickly..

There is just a little pin connector under each pickup.

kingneptune117

Reaction score
All you have to do is unplug the other pickups and plug these in. They're designed to swap quickly..

There is just a little pin connector under each pickup.

I imagine the pickups are dimensionally the same right? So I don't need new pickup rings or anything like that?

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
I imagine the pickups are dimensionally the same right? So I don't need new pickup rings or anything like that?

I've never bought a new set of EMGs (only came in guitars I bought) but I know most Duncans come with pup rings. But yeah, your old rings should work just fine.