Playing faster on a 7 than 6 string?

• Thread starter ZackP3750
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZackP3750

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone feels they can play faster on a 7 string than a 6. I, personally, think playing a 7 gives me more room to work with and I can move somewhat quicker around the neck. The 6 can sometimes feel really crammed tight. Thoughts? Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
In a way, that does apply to me. I don't find myself playing "faster", but it does allow for more seamless runs and arpeggios, especially so if wider intervals are concerned.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
For me yes, purely because I'm so used to 7's that 6's feel tiny and uncomfortable.

RaceCar

Que te jodas.
Reaction score
I definitely play way faster on a 6 with a thin neck. The reason my 7 string slows me down is cuz its a Schecter C7 Hellraiser (aka the fattest neck known to guitar.) :squint:

Skanky

Reaction score
One thing I've found is that the wider neck of the 7 somewhat "forces" me to not hook my thumb over the top of the neck, which is actually a more "correct" technique. This definitely makes a difference in how fast you can play.

MetalJordan

Reaction score
I feel the same. I have large hands so the 7-string is a lot easier for me to play. I have more room for my long skinny fingers and I can mover up and down the fretboard much easier.

fluid1993

Reaction score
I have smaller hands but they feel similar to me. The only real difference is when reaching for the 7th string my hands might brush up on the higher strings, but it doesnt make sound as long as I mute it.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
One thing I've found is that the wider neck of the 7 somewhat "forces" me to not hook my thumb over the top of the neck, which is actually a more "correct" technique. This definitely makes a difference in how fast you can play.

Truth.

Additionally, I feel that being able to run through scales in larger intervals allows you more room to play faster phrases.. Sort of like, if you're playing a neck-wide run, you have more room to play it before you have to shift position, so you can pull off faster speeds.

Im tired. Not sure if that made sense.

JonnyDeath

Reaction score
My experience with my first 7 string is it made me faster on my 6 strings but they became uncomfortable once I was used to the feel of the 7. After some fret issues, my 7 string was shelved for about a year and I grew re-accustom to my dozens of 6 string guitars.

Now that it's playable again and I have a new one on the way, I can already tell I will soon void my 6 string comfort once again. I would say the 7 string made me faster period but the speed on the 6 is superior. I REALLY prefer to compose in E standard but when it comes time to record those rhythms, metal just sounds a bit fruity in E. Down tuned 6 strings annoy me as well though so here I am again, back to the 7's.
Reminds me of how my 24 fret guitars made me loath anything less!

Latest posts