Playing with guitar on your left leg (classical style)

• Thread starter Max Dread
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleightest

Reaction score
I like to try all sorts of positions with my guitar. It helps to keep my relationship with it fresh and exciting. Sometimes sitting, sometimes standing or sometimes in a weird pretzel yoga position out in public. Just remember to be safe and use straplocks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Divided-Divine

Reaction score
I personally prefer the classical position as well. It seems to me that whenever I rest it on the right leg, I have to hold my picking arm in this really cramped position with the biceps almost held horizontically.

starslight

Gimme that wheat!
Reaction score
I practice standing up as much as possible. I can't comfortably play anything that requires a stretch with the guitar on my right leg, and playing with the guitar on my left leg hurts my back after a few minutes.

theleem

Reaction score
I played with it on my right for the first 4 years, but when I went in to see a physical therapist about a shoulder thing I had, he said I might not be in so much discomfort if I switched to classical position, and I haven't looked back since. My shoulder definitely doesn't hurt as much, and I find it's just easier to play that way.

tscoolberth

Reaction score
Same here .. played for 10yrs, took 15 off and now back at it for past two. I've switched to left leg which has helped a lot. Looking for a suitable little stool for my leg also ... Been thinking about what I'm sitting on. Up till now was on the same wooden stool I used as boy (sentimental reasons.) But I was at a music shop and they had a real throne .. and man that thing was like heaven!

I know the young bucks are probably rolling their eyes .. but I'm 43 and that's a lot of gravity and injuries built up over time. Plus I play 1 hr a day maybe 2 religiously ....

Have had some problems with arm freezing up .. this is gonna sound crazy .. but I think I was getting a bit of muscle fatigue from being too dehydrated.

StewartEhoff

Reaction score
I've not been playing long, but it seemed natural for me to place the guitar on my right leg. However after reading this thread, I gave it a go on the left leg and damn, that's comfy. It feels a lot more comfortable picking from the left leg.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I recently started playing with a strap while seated so I can chest rock with my guitars that aren't so comfy to play sitting down and that basically puts me in classical position. But I tend to play superstrats that way sitting down anyway.

I realized I can play a bit faster that way and there seems to be less strain on my hands/wrists.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
I generally cross my right leg on top (look at the picture) and put my guitar on that. But if I find that something is difficult to play (usually solo type stuff) then I'll play in classical position

I can honestly play comfortably in any sitting position, I have the most difficulty with playing standing, no matter how high or low I wear my guitar

This is how I cross my legs, it elevates the guitar and keeps it near the center of my body
barackobamahands20on20h.jpg

wildchild

Reaction score
I find I switch it up from right to left leg depending if im playing more rhythm or solo
although I find when I play left leg classical I use my chest to clamp down on the body to stop it from sliding off, it helps if you can raise the left leg on a book or a stand

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
I generally cross my right leg on top (look at the picture) and put my guitar on that. But if I find that something is difficult to play (usually solo type stuff) then I'll play in classical position

This is how I cross my legs, it elevates the guitar and keeps it near the center of my body

This is EXACTLY what I used to do for years.

Until one day during a 6+ hour playing session, I pinched the ulnar nerve in my left side causing me a good amount of pain and tingling. It made it difficult to play at all, or do pretty much anything with my left arm until I had surgery and went through physical therapy. Everyone's body is different, but playing like this really messed me up bad.

Just a friendly warning, don't make the same mistake I did.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Classical pos. here as well. Only time I play the other way (or cross-legged, as mentioned above) is if I'm just farting around with some open chords and whatnot. I've GOT to have the guitar high, and in front... not off to the side too much.

I have my strap as short as it'll go as well. So, when standing, I look like some cheesy fusion player, but whatevs. I don't care what I look like.

EDIT: I have one of those Classical footstool thingies too, heh.

Contra

Reaction score
I nearly always play with the guitar over my left leg. I find that classical position gives all around better posture in my back, shoulders, and wrists, which is especially important to me, having pretty bad tendonitis. This position is healthier, less damaging to my wrists and hands, and makes playing easier, especially when trying to reach higher frets.

Also worth mentioning, shortening the strap and raising the guitar while standing gives me similar benefits to choosing classical position while sitting.

JazzandMetal

Reaction score
I always wear a strap pretty short and play with the guitar on my left leg. It is really in between my legs, actually. Classical position all the way!

My lower back hurts sometimes, but then I just let the chair support my back. Or I stand up.

I can't play as well on my right leg. Both hands and arms tire more quickly and everything is more difficult.